"Nakhon Phanom" Nakhon Phanom by Cathy&Gary
Nakhon Phanom Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 83 photos
Issan is the entire north east area of Thailand which covers an area of approximately 160,000km2 and is the poorest region in Thailand. Due to this many people leave for the big cities to look for work, however it will usually only be one or two members of a family who move from Issan often leaving children in the care of friends or family.
Farming is the main source of income but it is a hard life due to unpredictable rainfall, either not enough or too much and poor quality of soil. So incomes are usually supplemented by basket weaving, silk weaving, making fishnets or other handicrafts.
The main language spoken in the Issan area is a dialect of Thai and Lao and Northern Khmer is often spoken in the southeast, though everyone understands Thai.
The history and culture of Issan is very different to other areas of Thailand as is the food, some dishes are so spicy. This is the perfect area to explore if you do not want to be surrounded by tourists.
On our drives we have gone days without seeing any westerners. We were also amazed at how friendly everyone was, even Monks would call out to us and wave.
There is just so much to see in the Issan area, it is home to Thailand’s earliest civilization so there are archeological sites to explore, beautiful waterfalls, amazing Temples, national parks, the mighty Mekong River, Khmer ruins and so much more.
Main highways in the area are excellent with plenty of rest stops, signs and garages, so it is perfect for road trips, though there are also some pretty bad roads off the beaten track but no problem in a 4x4.
This is an area we will keep coming back to explore, it is most definitely the highlight of our trips to Thailand.
Click here for more photos and info!
- In a nutshell:Absolutely fantastic area with so much to see and do.
Now it is time for us to leave Nakhon Phanom and drive to Nong Khai which is another 350 kilometers away, but there will... more travel advice
This beautiful Temple is about 80 kilometers south of Nakhon Phanom, it is said that every Buddhist should visit here at... more travel advice
Cathy&Gary's Related Pages
Nakhon Phanom Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Nakhon Phanom
- Hotels in Nakhon Phanom
- Shopping in Nakhon Phanom
- Warnings and Dangers in Nakhon Phanom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nakhon Phanom
- 4 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Nakhon Phanom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nakhon Phanom
Photos in Nakhon PhanomSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 251 reviews, 1119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 75 reviews, 286 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 78 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 57 reviews, 260 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 30 reviews, 150 photos
- Ko Lanta Yai Intro, 21 reviews, 106 photos
- Kuching Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos