"Ranong" Ranong by Cathy&Gary

Ranong Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 118 photos

Ranong is known as the wettest place in Thailand with the rainy season lasting about eight months of the year!!

We have driven to Ranong a couple of times now and it is a beautiful drive.
Ranong is only 300 kilometres from Phuket but it takes us a lot longer to get there with all the stops and sightseeing we do along the way!

We stop for lunch on the way at Takua Pa which is a bus terminus with a food court and some markets.

No tourists eating here and all the signs in the food court were in Thai so I found something that sort of looked ok and ordered it with rice.

Gary had the same. It was some sort of chicken curry that was about to blow my head off, very cheap here, lunch cost 15 baht each.

It would have been nicer if I didn’t get all the boney and lumpy bits of the chicken with no meat on them (or parts I didn’t even recognize)

I have covered hotels we have stayed in, where we ate and places we went to like caves, waterfalls, hot springs etc under their own sections.

Very lush and green - just perfect.

On the outskirts of Ranong we started seeing lots of police and soldiers, then a huge checkpoint manned by soldiers with machine guns, well, I don’t think I will chance taking a photo of them, though would have loved to!!

Ranong is located on the Kra Isthmus which is the very narrow strip that connects Thailand to the Malay Peninsula. Some fantastic photo opportunities up here!

We absolutely love our trips to Ranong and beyond.
No doubt we will go back there and stay a bit longer, there are no hordes of tourists and so many more things we would like to see around the area.

The scenery on the way to Ranong changes so much and the closer you get the more beautiful it is. Very lush and green - just perfect.

We absolutely loved our drive to Ranong and will no doubt go back there and stay a bit longer, there are no hordes of tourists and so many more things we would like to see there.

Click here for lots more photos of our drive to Ranong.,

• Last visit to Ranong: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 28, 2009

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 6:06 AM

Cathy, your accounts on Ranong are fabulous and inspiring. Now I am decided to visit Ranong (and possibly neighbouring Burma) in about 3 weeks from now. Sadly, I don't have the talent to write such good reports as you do. Richard (Geneva)

• picek's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2010 at 4:27 AM

the hot spring looks tempting :) i usually visit springs when I know for them and I like watching locals boiling eggs with those boiling springs in some places. Caves with bats looks great, too. Nice area.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM

this is really nice photos and tips. very good job you did there.

Cathy&Gary Visits Here Frequently!

Cathy&Gary

“Do Everything Now - While You Still Can!!”

Badges & Stats in Ranong