"Udon Thani Thailand (Issan)" Udon Thani by Cathy&Gary
Udon Thani Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 163 photos
Issan is the entire north east area of Thailand which covers an area of approximately 160,000km2 and is the poorest region in Thailand. Due to this many people leave for the big cities to look for work, however it will usually only be one or two members of a family who move from Issan often leaving children in the care of friends or family.
Farming is the main source of income but it is a hard life due to unpredictable rainfall, either not enough or too much and poor quality of soil. So incomes are usually supplemented by basket weaving, silk weaving, making fishnets or other handicrafts.
The main language spoken in the Issan area is a dialect of Thai and Lao and Northern Khmer is often spoken in the southeast, though everyone understands Thai.
The history and culture of Issan is very different to other areas of Thailand as is the food, some dishes are so spicy. This is the perfect area to explore if you do not want to be surrounded by tourists.
On our drives we have gone days without seeing any westerners. We were also amazed at how friendly everyone was, even Monks would call out to us and wave.
There is just so much to see in the Issan area, it is home to Thailand’s earliest civilization so there are archeological sites to explore, beautiful waterfalls, amazing Temples, national parks, the mighty Mekong River, Khmer ruins and so much more.
Main highways in the area are excellent with plenty of rest stops, signs and garages, so it is perfect for road trips, though there are also some pretty bad roads off the beaten track but no problem in a 4x4.
This is an area we will keep coming back to explore, it is most definitely the highlight of our trips to Thailand.
- In a nutshell:Lots to explore in the area if you just get out and about.
Nong Prachat Park was formerly called Nong Na Kluer and was a natural swamp before the founding of Udon Thani. The swamp... more travel advice
Cathy&Gary's Related Pages
Udon Thani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Udonthani,modern city with feeling of old time"
- "World's Most Elaborate Truck Stop"
- "Visit Ban Chiang from Udon Thani"
- "Udon Thani"
- "Ever Bustling Udon Thani"
- "An Afternoon in Udon Thani..."
- "Accidental Tourist"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Udon Thani
- Hotels in Udon Thani
- Transportation in Udon Thani
- Nightlife in Udon Thani
- Restaurants in Udon Thani
- Shopping in Udon Thani
- Warnings and Dangers in Udon Thani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Udon Thani
- 3 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Udon Thani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Udon Thani
Photos in Udon ThaniSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 251 reviews, 1119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 75 reviews, 286 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 78 reviews, 263 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 57 reviews, 260 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 30 reviews, 150 photos
- Ko Lanta Yai Intro, 21 reviews, 106 photos
- Kuching Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos
Latest Udon Thani hotel reviews
- Centara Hotel & Convention Centre Udon Thani
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Charoen Hotel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Charoensri Palace Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 24, 2012
- Gecko Villa
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Green Gecko
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Charoensri Grand Royal
- 1 Review & Opinion