"Kuala Lumpur" Kuala Lumpur by Cathy&Gary
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 5,981 reviews and 13,478 photos
We have been to Kuala Lumpur a few times now and like it more each time we visit.
We flew Malaysian Airlines for the first time as well; normally we fly Singapore Airlines, and all flights etc we fine (though KL airport is no comparison to Singapore’s Changi Airport.
We stayed at the Capitol Hotel on Jalan Bintang. The hotel is in a great location, the bathroom had one of the biggest showers I have seen, though the room was quite small, we had fantastic views and something rare, you could actually open the window a little bit, though for the price there are far superior hotels in the same area.
Shopping in this area is fantastic, my favorite place was Sungei Wang Plaza, and on our first visit there we spent about 5 hours just looking around and still didn’t see everything.
Some of the prices are DVDs 6 RM, computer games and software 5 RM per disc. Men’s Nike Dri Cool tops (from sports store) 70 RM each, copy diesel and billabong t shirts 15 RM each, 12 inch rice paper and wood lamps 50 RM, these come flat packed, with a globe and the plug fits in Australian power points.
It was raining when we went to Chinatown, so no looking at stalls etc, we just headed for cover and had a meal.
Food is cheap there, we paid 60 RM for 24 satays, 2 large bottles tiger and 2 fruit juices.
We went to a couple of Indian Restaurants and on average paid 85 RM for 2 entrees, 2 main courses, 2 tiger beers and 2 Lassi drinks.
We also did a half day countryside tour booked through the hotel for 55 RM each.
We went to Batu Caves, pretty spectacular, extremely hot climbing a few hundred stairs but were well worth it at the top. Watch the monkeys there though, we saw quite a few distressed tourists who had their bags of souvenirs etc stolen by the monkeys.
I have a great photo of a monkey holding her baby on my photo site, it’s pretty spooky. The Royal Selangor museum, we really enjoyed this and the shop has beautiful things to buy if you like pewter.
Only part of the tour we weren’t that fussed on was the silk factory tour which was really just a whiz past how things are made etc, then get into the shop and be followed everywhere by someone trying to sell you a scarf or sarong worth hundreds of dollars ha-ha. But overall the tour was worth doing if you don’t have much time in KL.
When we left Cambodia to go to Phuket we had an overnighter in KL and stayed at the Pan Pacific Airport Hotel, fantastic hotel, you check in where you collect your luggage then catch a type of golf cart which whizzes you through to the hotel.
Mini bar etc is very expensive here, e.g. can of coke about $4, club sandwich $15, but it’s worth it when you have room service, its like silver service.
I have a lot more photos from Kuala Lumpur here!
We also had to spend about 10 hrs in KL airport on our way home to Australia from Phuket and as we were so tired we decided to check out the Airside transit hotel.
Its located at gate C5 in the Satellite terminal and was just perfect. The rooms had TV, fridge, phones, safe etc and a bathroom to freshen up and there is also a Lounge Bar & Café. We booked in for 6 hours and the cost was 120 RM. When we woke up and opened the curtains there was a huge plane just outside the window, we never heard it come in as the rooms are totally soundproof.
This was great as we didn’t have to hang around in uncomfortable chairs waiting for our flight home. I will definitely use this facility again.
Sorry this is not much of a report but we weren’t there long enough to do much.
While you are here you might as well check out my info on:
- Pros:Friendly people, easy to get around, lots to see and do, great shopping.
The Petronas Twin Towers are now not the tallest buildings in the word, but the double decker sky bridge connecting the... more travel advice
We have a good friend who lives in Kuala Lumpur so he decided to take us to the Hard Rock Cafe for happy hour. Drinks... more travel advice
Cathy&Gary's Related Pages
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kuala Lumpur"
- "Kuala Lumpur - My Home"
- "KL - where the rivers (and all things else) meet."
- "-=Latest & Happening In Town=-"
- "I grew up here!!!"
- "JALAN BUKIT BINTANG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur
- Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
- Transportation in Kuala Lumpur
- Nightlife in Kuala Lumpur
- Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
- Shopping in Kuala Lumpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Lumpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur
- 14 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Lumpur
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Local transport phuket"
- Wrote a Review Petronas Twin Towers about Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Royal Selangor Museum"
- updated a Kuala Lumpur Travel Page "Kuala Lumpur"
- Commented on one of Tattugran's Kuala Lumpur travel pages
Photos in Kuala LumpurSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 263 reviews, 1186 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 87 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 67 reviews, 308 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phnom Penh Intro, 76 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krabi Intro, 30 reviews, 153 photos
- Northeastern Thailand Intro, 27 reviews, 153 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Lanta Yai Intro, 21 reviews, 106 photos
- Kuching Intro, 17 reviews, 88 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos