"+ 54 Celsius, 3 Pyramids & 1 Sphinx" Pyramids of Giza by Zandra
Pyramids of Giza Travel Guide: 415 reviews and 1,291 photos
The summer I worked in Ayia Napa on Cyrus, two friends and I decided to do something "cultural", so we went on a weekend cruise to Egypt with Louis Cruise Lines (see transportation). Usually, I try to avoid convenient "everything included trips", but since we didn't have time to arrange everything on our own, it was rather cheap and this was the period when it was unsafe for tourists to travel within Egypt, I made an exception. It was in the middle of the summer, and the day we visited the Giza Plateau it was incredibly hot; around 54 degrees Celsius. My advice for those planning a trip to Giza during the summer is to bring several bottles of water, sun lotion and a cap! I'd also advice you to go out to the Giza Plateau as early in the morning as possible. That way you can avoid the rush traffic, it'll be cooler, less tourists and street vendors.
I had always thought that the Pyramids would be located far out in the middle of a desert, so I was really surprised and also a little chocked when I realized how close they really are to the center of Cairo. The 20-million city is constantly expanding and modern buildings are being built closer and closer to the Pyramids. The whole plateau itself is very touristy and commercialized, but despite of all visitors and annoying street merchandiser, it is still a magical and mysterious place. The Pyramids and the Sphinx can not really be described. You have to experience them yourself! When I was standing in front of these enormous stone monuments, I couldn't stop thinking about how on earth people could have built these giants. It was tempting to believe the Swiss author Erich von Daeniken (http://www.daeniken.com), who claims that aliens helped the Egyptian people to construct the Pyramids and also provided the tools for the construction... However, the Sphinx is not as big as one might think, but it's still impressive!
"Man fears time, but time itself fears the Pyramids"
- Arabic Proverb
- Pros:The Incredible Monuments
- Cons:Street Vendors and Camel Owners
- In a nutshell:A Must
There are many of them, and they'll charge you for everything. If you want to photograph them, you'll have to pay.... more travel advice
Zandra's Related Pages
Pyramids of Giza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Giza and its Pyramids"
- "My Giza Page"
- "Trip to Ancient History... Delivered."
- "G I Z A"
- "The Pyramids were fabulous, of course!"
- "Pyramids of Gezah"
- "The Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pyramids of Giza
- Hotels in Pyramids of Giza
- Transportation in Pyramids of Giza
- Nightlife in Pyramids of Giza
- Restaurants in Pyramids of Giza
- Shopping in Pyramids of Giza
- Warnings and Dangers in Pyramids of Giza
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pyramids of Giza
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pyramids of Giza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pyramids of Giza
- Posted in Travel Wuzhen Forum "Re: Transportation Hangzhou -..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Everything Included with Louis Cruise Lines"
- updated a Pyramids of Giza Travel Page "+ 54 Celsius, 3 Pyramids & 1 Sphinx"
- Wrote a Review The Sphinx in Pyramids of Giza Things to Do
- Commented on one of dedeckerm.'s Pyramids of Giza travel pages
Photos in Pyramids of GizaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Düsseldorf Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skagen Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Freiburg im Breisgau Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Lottum Intro, 1 review, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Corfu Island Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Pyramids of Giza Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Sweden Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Germany Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Venlo Intro, 1 review, 2 photos