"Valley Forge Pennsylvania" Valley Forge by Florida999
Valley Forge Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 46 photos
We visited Valley Forge, just outside of Philadelphia to go to a convention. The last day we spent visiting the actual Valley Forge Historical Park . This area was home to the Revolutionary Army, with George Washington as their general during the winter of 1777. The British didn't reach that far to attack. Conditions for the Revolutionary Army were bad, many died. But they persevered, in part due to the military training of Baron Von Stuben, a former Prussian ( German) General that had come to America and assisted General Washington. Eventually, the Revolutionary Army outlasted the Brittish, who withdrew from Philadelphia, so it was a victory, even without actually fighting a battle at this site.
Today, the area is a nice park, great for hiking, biking, or horseback riding, with many historical things to look at, like the house George Washington lived in, and the Chapel he went to. There are many monuments including the one on the photo of Baron Von Stuben, plus some reconstructed soldiers' quarters.
We spent about half a day there, but drove along the tour , stopping at various places.
The soldier had to battle not the British , but hard conditions in the winter to survive. Many died from disease and starvation. The "accomodations" you see in the photo are the reconstructed huts they lived in. Not exactly ***** lodging!
This is where the first President of the United States lived, while still General Washington, during the winter of 1777. You can go inside, and look at his study, the kitchen, the bedroom and some other areas.
- Pros:Interesting Historic Park
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a trip, if you are in the Philadelphia area
Florida999's Related Pages
Valley Forge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valley Forge was very beautiful. A must for all!!!"
- "VALLEY FORGE"
- "Valley Forge Pennsylvania"
- "ruthmomma's new Valley Forge Page"
- "Valley Forge"
- "Valley Forge, PA"
- "Valley Forge in winter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valley Forge
- Hotels in Valley Forge
- Transportation in Valley Forge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valley Forge
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Valley Forge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valley Forge
Photos in Valley ForgeSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos
- Maine Intro, 23 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Carolina Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos
- Orlando Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 35 photos
- Florida Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vermont Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos