"South Dakota" Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota by Florida999
South Dakota Travel Guide: 1,235 reviews and 3,017 photos
We saw most of the State of South Dakota, since we will probably only visit once.
Places we visited before we got to the Badlands: Sioux Falls, Mitchel Corn Palace.
We were not prepared for the heat in the Badlands, 115 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't think this far north it would get that hot! It was miserable, the a/c in my truck does not function above 100 degrees, and all we did was drink gallons of water. There are no trees and no shade. I guess that is why this desolate place is called the Badlands....
Mount Rushmore is in the Black Hills near Keystone , South Dakota.
It is actually smaller than I expected, but still impressive.
The Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln.
The Black Hills are located in the south-western part of South Dakota, near Wyoming. It was my favorite location in South Dakota, and if I lived there, I would go camping there often.
- Pros:South Dakota has some unique destinations
- Cons:Hot, dusty and dry!
- In a nutshell:An interesting State to visit, but once is enough if you are not close to it!
We visited the "Big Thunder Gold Mine" in Keystone. This mine did not actually turn out to be a rich mine, but the tour... more travel advice
Most of South Dakota is not very exiting to look at. The entire drive from Sioux Falls to the Badlands was very boring... more travel advice
Florida999's Related Pages
South Dakota Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "South Dakota"
- "Souix - Paha Sapa - 'hills that are black""
- "Expansive Beauty"
- "South Dakota"
- "Cows, Corn and Soybeans"
- "BLACK HILLS - MOUNTAIN ISLAND ON THE GREAT PLAINS"
- "Lakota people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Dakota
- Hotels in South Dakota
- Transportation in South Dakota
- Nightlife in South Dakota
- Restaurants in South Dakota
- Shopping in South Dakota
- Warnings and Dangers in South Dakota
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in South Dakota
- 17 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to South Dakota?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Dakota
Top 10 Pages
- Maine Intro, 23 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Carolina Intro, 24 reviews, 50 photos
- New Mexico Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos
- Orlando Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Scotland Intro, 20 reviews, 35 photos
- Florida Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vermont Intro, 17 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (61)
Top South Dakota hotels
- Deadwood Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Sioux Falls Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 102 Photos
- Rapid City Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Custer Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 103 Photos
- De Smet Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 16 Photos
- Watertown Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Jewel Cave National Monument Hotels
- 1 Review - 10 Photos
- Keystone Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 45 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Cactus Flat Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Hot Springs Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 16 Photos
- Lead Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Mitchell Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 68 Photos
- Sturgis Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Wall Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 54 Photos