"South Dakota" Top 5 Page for this destination South Dakota by Florida999

South Dakota Travel Guide: 1,242 reviews and 3,035 photos

From Sioux Falls To the Black Hills

We saw most of the State of South Dakota, since we will probably only visit once.

Places we visited before we got to the Badlands: Sioux Falls, Mitchel Corn Palace.

We were not prepared for the heat in the Badlands, 115 degrees Fahrenheit. I didn't think this far north it would get that hot! It was miserable, the a/c in my truck does not function above 100 degrees, and all we did was drink gallons of water. There are no trees and no shade. I guess that is why this desolate place is called the Badlands....

Mount Rushmore

Mount Rushmore is in the Black Hills near Keystone , South Dakota.
It is actually smaller than I expected, but still impressive.

The Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln.

The Black Hills

The Black Hills are located in the south-western part of South Dakota, near Wyoming. It was my favorite location in South Dakota, and if I lived there, I would go camping there often.

• Pros:South Dakota has some unique destinations
  • Cons:Hot, dusty and dry!
  • In a nutshell:An interesting State to visit, but once is enough if you are not close to it!
  • Last visit to South Dakota: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Lots of interest you have written about on this page. Thought the sculpture of the Bison was great, and the Jackalope, what fun for the children, and you can't miss taking a photo of it, I wouldn't! The Sioux waterfall's look good too! Some of those Ranger's talk's are quite boring, luckily, we only met one who was!

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Would you believe there are tour buses that go through that thing.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Very informative page. Though I visisted very fast but I need to come back again for more details.

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 5:53 AM

Liked your South Dakota tips - couldn't find a pic of my relatives, though.... Maybe on your N Dakota page? ;-))

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2006 at 1:08 PM

Great page with beautiful tips and pics! I learned about Mount Rushmore in 1970 when "Deep Purple" issued their album "In Rock". This pic was printed on the packet. Mitchell Corn Palace impresses a lot - rather funny! Thanks for sharing!

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 7:10 AM

July is probably not the best time to visit the Dakotas. I lived in North Dakota just over four years and left dragging my feet. The people and the natural attractions (including some which you named) can grow on you very quickly.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 6:37 AM

Thanks for the tips, especially the campgrounds. We are heading that way and intend to camp as much as possible to save money for food and souvenirs. good phots, well written and informative. thanks

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 11:38 AM

I like reading about these less travelled places. The Corn Palace is an excellent find, and Mt. Rushmore has been an icon for me since I watched North by Northwest :).

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 11:08 AM

very nice page on a place I've never been. Hotel prices are going up so I'm not surprised the HI was more than we think it should be.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 6:41 AM

Your SD page brought back memories of my first cross country drive when I passed through the state. Didn't make it to Harney peak or Custer State Park, though. They look interesting. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Badges & Stats in South Dakota

Have you been to South Dakota?

Latest Activity in South Dakota