"Family Travels" Florida999's Profile

We just returned from an absolutely awesome trip to INDIA! It will take me a while to finish a VT page for this trip! India was great, never been any place like it, and it lived up to my expectations!

We like to travel and our goal is to visit all 50 U.S. States, plus some other places around the world. We love to ski in the winter.

We had a wonderful trip to Europe in summer 2012. We visited Germany, including Berchtesgaden which was very nice, Salzburg Austria, Belgium and Paris. I still have lots of new VT pages to make. I enjoyed Paris much more this time than the first time I visited about 15 years ago. No new mountain in 2012, we failed! The weather turned bad about an hour from the summit.

We visit Vermont for Christmas most years. This year we did not and spent Christmas in Florida.

In 2011, we went on a cruise to the Bahamas. I didn't think I liked being on a cruise, after the one to Mexico a few years ago, but we enjoyed this one a lot. I think it makes a lot of difference what ship you are on, and where your cabin is. Nassau was much better than we had expected also.

We still have 5 States left to visit: Alaska, Hawaii, Utah, Washington, Oregon. We also have visited many High Points in States and a few countries. On the trip we did a few years ago, we hiked up Guadaloupe Peak in Texas, which was a very nice hike. We have hike up mountains like Mount Katahdin in Maine which was the hardest one we have climbed so far, but also the most fun. Made it up Mount Rogers in Virginia a few years ago, easy but beautiful hike with lots of wild ponies around.

Most of the time we drive and camp somewhere. It is a lot more fun to camp than stay in a hotel. If you drive, you see more and can stop along the way anytime you like. Plus, you don't have airline problems like we had last year!!! ( do NOT fly Alitalia!!) I can get in my truck anytime I wish and drive anywhere I wish!!
Plus, you can take all of your camping equipment or ski stuff. We drove an amazing 8000 miles during our 3 week trip in July 2006 to Yellowstone, about 6000 miles in July 2007 all the way to Nova Scotia, and about 4000 to Vermont and back. In the winter, we like to rent cabins or houses. We drove about 5000 miles to New Mexico and back a few years ago , and I think I have overcome my fear of bridges after driving through Louisiana...

So far my favorite States are:

Lol, I keep changing my mind:
VIRGINIA:-) , since we will be moving there in a few years:) I really need to make a Virginia page!
Vermont:)
MAINE:-) AND North Carolina!!
Florida
Colorado/Wyoming AND New Mexico

My least favorite States I won't mention here, but there are a few I don't care for.

Favorite cities:
Large: I think would not like to live in any, but I had a nice time visiting Paris
Medium: Portland Maine, Colorado Springs, Orlando?! ( hmmm...getting tired of Orlando)
Small: Bar Harbor ( Maine), Jackson Hole (WY), Blacksburg (VA)
Really small: Stowe, Vermont, Beech Mountain ( NC) and Ormond Beach ( FL), Bethel (ME) , Bryson City (NC)

Outside the U.S. we have visited the U.K. (mostly Scotland), Canada ,Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and Belgium. We went to Mexico on a cruise a few years ago and to the Bahamas.
I have been to most of Europe and really have always wanted to see India, so this year is it! Next on our list of foreign travel is probably Eastern Europe. Plus there is still Washington State and Oregon to drive too...

My favorite thing to do on a trip: climb up mountains and be outside in nature somewhere doing something fun like hiking up a mountain, or skiing in the winter. We all like seeing new places also. We like visiting historical places also.

Canary Islands: My first ever trip !

I went to the Canary Islands with my parents. The islands are off the west coast off Africa. I don't remember much about that trip, but I have a few very old looking photos.

New puppy!

We got Heidi ( German Shepherd) when she was 8 weeks. Heidi just turned one on November 26, 2013. She is over 70 lbs now and a great dog!

My truck

I traded in my Sierra truck for a Yukon XL...the Sierra just did not have the comfort of the Suburban we used to take on trips. The Yukon XL is the GMC version of the Suburban. It has much more storage space in the back, more seats , more room, more everything.
Only a large SUV is comfortable and big enough for long trips.
This one actually gets decent gas mileage, it has some technology that shuts down some of the engine cylinders at cruising speed on the highway. We just took it on the first trip and I was surprised at how far we could drive without getting gas.

War Games

Another thing we like to do besides travel is playing miniature war games. We have gone to the largest war game convention (Historicon) several times. Last time we went it was at Valley Forge near Philladelphia but it's been a few years.

The photo shows a game we played of Mongols attacking China around 1000 years or so ago. In reality , the Mongols won this battle, but we lost, since we couldn't seem to roll dice well:-)

Heidi's first camping trip

We camped at Juniper Springs in Ocala right before Easter. It was still very cold out for this time of year. Heidi had a blast , but she got tired hiking after 6 or so miles, and we had to carry her some of the way back!!

• Intro Updated Apr 7, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!