"Family Travels" Florida999's Profile

We just returned from an absolutely awesome trip to INDIA! It will take me a while to finish a VT page for this trip! India was great, never been any place like it, and it lived up to my expectations!

We like to travel and our goal is to visit all 50 U.S. States, plus some other places around the world. We love to ski in the winter.

I compiled a list of my top "tourist" destinations in the U.S., but we have not been to all States, so the ones we haven't been to are listed towards the end. The list is pretty much in order. There were a few States we really did not find anything much interesting but if you happen to live in one of them, and have a location one should visit, please feel free to send me a message.

1. Wyoming: Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson Hole Ski Area
2. Vermont: Stowe Ski area ( Mount Mansfield)
3. Colorado: Colorado Springs (Garden of Gods, Pikes Peak), Rocky Mountain NP
4. North Carolina: Great Smokey Mountain NP , Beech Mountain
5. Florida: Islands of Adventure, Ichneetucknee Springs, St. Augustine
6. Maine: Arcadia NP/ Bar Harbor, Baxter State Park ( Kathadin)
7. Montana: Yellowstone
25. Georgia: Cumberland Island
26. Illinois: Chicago
27. Oklahoma: Oklahoma City
28. Nevada : Hoover Dam
29. Idaho: Idaho Falls, Snake River ( but there are more areas we didn’t get to)
30. Minnesota: Mall in Minneapolis
31. New Jersey: Sussex county ( best friend lives there)
32. Louisiana: bayou swamps
33. Mississippi: Jackson
34. Michigan: Lake Michigan
35. Alabama: Mobile Bay
36. California: not been to Northern Cal. or Yosemite , didn’t like LA and San Diego area
37. Utah: not been
47. Iowa: none sorry
48. Indiana : none sorry
49. Kansas: none, sorry
50. Ohio: none but not really looked

Most of the time we drive and camp somewhere. It is a lot more fun to camp than stay in a hotel. If you drive, you see more and can stop along the way anytime you like.
We drove an amazing 8000 miles during our 3 week trip in July 2006 to Yellowstone, about 6000 miles in July 2007 all the way to Nova Scotia, and about 4000 to Vermont and back. In the winter, we like to rent cabins or houses. We drove about 5000 miles to New Mexico and back a few years ago , and I think I have overcome my fear of bridges after driving through Louisiana...

Outside the U.S. we have visited India, the U.K. (mostly Scotland), Canada ,Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and Belgium. We went to Mexico on a cruise a few years ago and to the Bahamas.

My favorite thing to do on a trip: climb up mountains and be outside in nature somewhere doing something fun like hiking up a mountain, or skiing in the winter. We all like seeing new places also. We like visiting historical places also.

Canary Islands: My first ever trip !

I went to the Canary Islands with my parents. The islands are off the west coast off Africa. I don't remember much about that trip, but I have a few very old looking photos.

New puppy!

We got Heidi ( German Shepherd) when she was 8 weeks. Heidi just turned one on November 26, 2013. She is over 70 lbs now and a great dog!

My truck

I traded in my Sierra truck for a Yukon XL...the Sierra just did not have the comfort of the Suburban we used to take on trips. The Yukon XL is the GMC version of the Suburban. It has much more storage space in the back, more seats , more room, more everything.
Only a large SUV is comfortable and big enough for long trips.
This one actually gets decent gas mileage, it has some technology that shuts down some of the engine cylinders at cruising speed on the highway. We just took it on the first trip and I was surprised at how far we could drive without getting gas.

War Games

Another thing we like to do besides travel is playing miniature war games. We have gone to the largest war game convention (Historicon) several times. Last time we went it was at Valley Forge near Philladelphia but it's been a few years.

The photo shows a game we played of Mongols attacking China around 1000 years or so ago. In reality , the Mongols won this battle, but we lost, since we couldn't seem to roll dice well:-)

Heidi's first camping trip

We camped at Juniper Springs in Ocala right before Easter. It was still very cold out for this time of year. Heidi had a blast , but she got tired hiking after 6 or so miles, and we had to carry her some of the way back!!

• Intro Updated May 28, 2014

• nizash22's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

hai sophia, thnks for accepting me as a friend, its ma pleasure, hope we meet some times somewhere, all the wishes for ur travels, and great to read ur tips

• Treshi's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2014 at 4:34 AM

HI Sophia, happy belated b'day wishes and hope you had a great b'day. I m just back to the island after a holiday overseas ... hence, wishing you now..

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2014 at 6:11 AM

just back into the land of WIFI in Sri Lanka, so sorry I am belatedly sending wishes for a great Birthday!

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Thanks EVERYONE for the birthday wishes!

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Belated happy birthday. Hope you had great fun:-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Hope you had a good one! Sorry I missed the day. Cheers, Ian

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Hello Sophia and Happy Birthday

• JessieLang's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Wishing you a very happy birthday!

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Happy Birthday!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Hello there, just poppimg by to wish you a very happy birthday. Hope you have a great day and a great year to come.

fergy.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!