"Majestic Mountains" Western Fjords by melanief

Western Fjords Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 219 photos

Weekend Drive

On the weekend of May 23, 2003 I drove the Western Fjords. From the capital city, Reykvik I drove Road 1 up through Borganes and before Reykir I took Road 68. I stayed on 68 and at some point 68 became 61 - I just stayed on that main road and followed it all the way around though the fjords. The scenery was astounding. There were so many waterfalls that I had to give up stopping to take photos. Isafjordur was a beautiful port city. That would be a good place to get a room and get some food. From Isafjordur, I took Road 60 and followed that around till it connected with Road 1. The entire driving time - not counting time to rest - was 22 hours. It was a wonderful, peaceful weekend.

Driftwood anyone?

When I first entered the fjords, I started to notice there were stacks of driftwood along the side of the road. I asked someone at a cafe if he knew anything about all the piles of driftwood. He said that when trees or logs get into the ocean, the current pulls them in to shore in the fjords. According to him, locals stack the driftwood and allow them to air dry and then they use them to build barns or fences etc.

Ocean and Mountains

When trying to think of where to have the perfect vacation, do you want to visit the mountains or the ocean? Well in the fjords, you don't have to choose; you can have both. The moutains jut up out of the ocean creating a majestic scene that can not be properly captured on film or in my words trying to describe it.

• Pros:Breathtaking panoramic views - Great weekend trip
  • Cons:Not many gas stations
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful mountain roads that lead to quaint port towns
  • Last visit to Western Fjords: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2006

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Good tips on the Western Fjords. I am going there this weekend :)

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Wow...you are so adventurous to do the western fjords by yourself!! My husband and I are visiting Iceland in July. I will definitely refer back to your pages. Beautiful pictures! :-)

melanief

“Explore, Discover, Savor the moment”

Badges & Stats in Western Fjords

Have you been to Western Fjords?

Friends