"Makarska." Top 5 Page for this destination Makarska by karentids

Makarska Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 306 photos

Makarska

I have just returned from my first trip to Hrvatska - what can I say, it exceeded my expectations even though I had an idea what it would be like through other travellers pages - to see it 'in the flesh' is something else!
We travelled from Dubrovnik to Makarska stopping at various locations including Drevenik, Omis, Orebic and Ston on the Peljesac peninsula, Korcula, Cavtat and Lokrum with a day at Mostar.
One of my favourite places was Makarska, because we love the mountains, it is easy to visit other places from there, it is a beautiful, very picturesque little place with plenty of walks in all directions but also because we were so lucky in our choice of accomodation - we met some lovely people and heard some great traditional music.
We try not to stay at the big Hotels since we like to get to know local people and sample 'their way of life', food and entertainment and this we achieved much to our delight. (see my accomodation entry)

Biokovo mountain

We do not normally go on organised excursions but we desperately needed to be up in the mountains and since we had no car and were not fully fledged climbers we decided on a trip in a mini bus. This turned out to be a good choice.
The road was of course very narrow (mostly single track with passing places), twisty and twindy. Typical hair raising mountain roads. Apparently the professional tour drivers have problems with tourists travelling in their own cars since the latter are not experienced in mountain driving and frequently cause dangerous situations. Officials are trying to ban access to the mountain road to all non professional drivers.
We stopped a few times on the way up before culminating at the peak - Sv Jure which is 1762 metres, Croatia's third highest mountain (with it's 10 metre mast it is the highest!).
The scenery is, of course, magnificient, Makarska and the surrounding coastline in full view and the whole vista of the Biokovo mountains.The whole area is a Nature reserve park.
We knew lunch was included at the end of the trip but did not realise to what extent - it was a banquet! We ate outside, were greeted with a glass of home made herb brandy. (the guides, who were husband wife, made this brandy and obviously encouraged us to buy some.We were backpacking and could not carry it). It was delicious by the way. We had huge salad for starters, chicken with local ham and cheese, potatoes and Croatian cooked cabbage which was excellent and pancakes with fig marmalade. An endless supply of locally produced red wine was provided, also very good. It must have lasted about 2 hours and there was a good party spirit.

A relaxing Makarska

Apart from visiting other places from Makarska (including a trip to Mostar which we arranged ourselves) it was wonderful just to relax, to stroll and explore, stopping for refreshments in one of the many bars which are located on the sea front and in the square but also along the beautiful walks next to the sea under one of the many shady overhanging trees.
If you get bored (which I doubt) you can always make your own entertainment -
Sue told me not to include this but we had such a laugh that I have to share it (perhaps at the risk of offending some of you, but try it, making sure no one else is around of course, it's good fun!). We were sitting under the pine trees at the side of the sea taking a breather, enjoying the view and eating grapes. I said I bet I can spit these grape pips further than you - well that was a challenge for her if ever there was one so off we went the pips landing further away each time as we got more 'skilled' at it. Yes, I know - little things pleases little minds! She beat me by the way but I reckon she had been practising at home!

• Pros:Simply wonderful, it has everything
  • Cons:None
  • Last visit to Makarska: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2006

karentids

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Badges & Stats in Makarska

Have you been to Makarska?

Latest Activity in Makarska