"Grimsey Island Iceland" Grímsey by pcg821
Grímsey Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 24 photos
Grimsey Island is the only part of Iceland that reaches far enough north to the Arctic Circle,about 41 km's north of the main island.The size of the island is about the same size as New York City's Central Park
In the summer their is about 115 people who call the island home,in winter it drops to about 80 who remain.The summer months the island is home to millions of birds,mainly Puffins.Fishing is the backbone of their economy.mostly cod and fish processing.There is a guesthouse & restaurant and daily flights and ferry service 3 days a week.Chess is played to past away the time.
The Arctic Circle, at 66°33' 17" North Latitude, cuts across the island near the end of the airstrip.
All those who come to the island receive a special certificate for having crossed the Arctic Circle.
- Pros:Excellent day trip
pcg821's Related Pages
Grímsey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grimsey - On the Arctic Circle"
- "straddling the polar circle"
- "Grimsey Island Iceland"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grímsey
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Grímsey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grímsey
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 3 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 3 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 2 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Zermatt Intro, 2 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Stony Point Intro, 1 review, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jones Beach State Park Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 1 review, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Höfn Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue