"The Heart of Italia - Umbria" Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria by rubbersoul75
Umbria Travel Guide: 1,086 reviews and 3,745 photos
Like many areas of Italy, a visit to Umbria only wets your appetite leaving you itching for another visit. We spent some time in Umbria on 2 occasions in 05, prompting a return for an Umbrian New Year 06-07 visit. (see Holidays in Umbria Travelogue).
Umbria is smack dab in the middle of the boot; the only region without a boarder on the sea or another country, it is often referred to as "the green heart of Italy".
If neighboring Toscana has been somewhat spoiled by tourism (certainly some areas), Umbria holds a more "off the beaten path feel". The one big exception being St. Francis' hometown of Assisi.
to Umbria. Assisi is a must on many tours through Italy, and for good reason. I've heard a few complaints about the town being overtouristed. I disagree; Assisi is large enough to duck down an ally and get away from the crowds and commercialism. Stick around in the evening when the day crowds thin out and you'll see a charming medieval hill-town.
- Pros:most of the charm, less crowds than Toscana
- Cons:??umm, hot in the Summer??
What I love about Italy is you can be in one of the most touristy towns, in the heart of the city, and find a place like... more travel advice
The Facade if this Duomo is likely the most celebrated in Italy, and the most ornate one I've seen. Pope Leo XIII said... more travel advice
rubbersoul75's Related Pages
Umbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
- "The Heart of Italia - Umbria"
- "Out of the Shadows of Tuscany and Into the Light"
- "Springtime in Umbria, Italy"
- "La verde Umbria"
- "Umbria the Green Heart of Italy"
- "Umbria - the green heart of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Umbria
- Hotels in Umbria
- Transportation in Umbria
- Nightlife in Umbria
- Restaurants in Umbria
- Shopping in Umbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Umbria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Umbria
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Umbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umbria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ferrara Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Top Umbria hotels
- Assisi Hotels
- 212 Reviews - 629 Photos
- Orvieto Hotels
- 209 Reviews - 736 Photos
- Perugia Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 363 Photos
- Gubbio Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 552 Photos
- Cerreto di Spoleto Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Spoleto Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Passignano sul Trasimeno Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Norcia Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 54 Photos
- Bevagna Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 161 Photos
- Umbertide Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Tuoro sul Trasimeno Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Trevi Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Todi Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 162 Photos
- Terni Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Spello Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 51 Photos