"Le Cinque Terre" Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria by rubbersoul75

Liguria Travel Guide: 2,715 reviews and 7,997 photos

Vernazza, one of the 5

The "5 lands" and spectacular walks between them are hard to beat and most likely anyone that has been here will rave about their experience.

I guess there is a negative to the 5 terre which ironically is tourism, with more and more visitors it seems every year. I personally haven't seen the towns overcrowded with tourists and tacky souvenir stands, but I've heard/read that this is a problem at peak season.

The good news is that the entire area is a National Park and the natural resources on land and sea are protected; development is strictly controlled.

Liguria and The Cinque Terre are on the North West coast of Italy; they boarder and are an easy visit from Tuscany.

Some history & what to do

These remote towns each have their own feel as they developed somewhat independently hundreds of years ago. The waters below were often patrolled by pirates, occasionally sacking the towns. The towns survived mostly on the industries of fishing and grapes/wine, and more recently survive on tourism.

What to do? Walk the car free villages taking in the atmosphere, grab some seafood at a restaurant, and certainly walk the paths connecting them. Some of the walks are easy, others quite challenging. A regular train also conveniently links all the towns. See my separate tips on walking, the train, and parking a car.

(Another great way to see and travel between the towns is by boat. Have'nt done it yet but we hope to this spring).

OK, we're a little partial to the 5-Terre;

A Friday morning in April 05 we checked out of our Hotel near Pisa, I decided to check my e-mail at the hotel computer before our drive home to Germany. In my in-box was a job offer to come work in Italy. Later that morning we stopped in the Cinque Terre, our experience enhanced with the thoughts of moving to bel' Italia.

A return visit March 06 confirmed that this is one of our favorite spots anywhere.

• Pros:sea, view, walks,
  • Cons:I'm scratching my head.. troppo turismo?
  • Last visit to Liguria: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2006 at 6:17 PM

great page!

• Lacristina's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 5:56 AM

Grazie, Jon! Yes, Manarola is my favorite place to stay, but the high path between Manarola and Corniglia was literally and figuratively the high point! I could have cried from the beauty surrounding us. Must return and spend more time.

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 5:07 AM

Cinque Terre is one of those areas in Italy I'm eager to visit. After reading your informative tips and watching your lovely pics I want to go right away.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Beautiful little girls, lovely photos and wonderful tip about the monestery near La Spezia. I have saved it for future use. Thank you.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Where to begin, Jon & Teresa? Your 5Terre tips and photos are great. Your little girls are beautiful. It's great to see you taking them traveling and I am jealous of your living in Italy! Thanks! Rex

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2006 at 5:06 PM

Funny you mentioned Rick Steves because I was thinking how proud he'd be to use your photos for his brochures. :) And your coastal views are certainly Monet-worthy.

• thermopilas's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Very nice pictures. I wish I went to Cinque de Terre when I was in Italy. It's time to save money. :).

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2006 at 4:04 AM

Thank you for the wonderful photos and tips. I have dreamed of going to Cinque de Terre for a long time. Hopefully soon...

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 5:04 AM

came back for your best fotos of the villages. They are indeed first class. thanks for sharing.

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2006 at 9:28 AM

lovely page, you make me homesick for Manarola (my favorite of the 5)

rubbersoul75

“You may have the universe if I may have Italy - Verdi”

Badges & Stats in Liguria

Have you been to Liguria?

Latest Activity in Liguria