"Le Cinque Terre" Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria by rubbersoul75
Liguria Travel Guide: 2,797 reviews and 8,261 photos
The "5 lands" and spectacular walks between them are hard to beat and most likely anyone that has been here will rave about their experience.
I guess there is a negative to the 5 terre which ironically is tourism, with more and more visitors it seems every year. I personally haven't seen the towns overcrowded with tourists and tacky souvenir stands, but I've heard/read that this is a problem at peak season.
The good news is that the entire area is a National Park and the natural resources on land and sea are protected; development is strictly controlled.
Liguria and The Cinque Terre are on the North West coast of Italy; they boarder and are an easy visit from Tuscany.
These remote towns each have their own feel as they developed somewhat independently hundreds of years ago. The waters below were often patrolled by pirates, occasionally sacking the towns. The towns survived mostly on the industries of fishing and grapes/wine, and more recently survive on tourism.
What to do? Walk the car free villages taking in the atmosphere, grab some seafood at a restaurant, and certainly walk the paths connecting them. Some of the walks are easy, others quite challenging. A regular train also conveniently links all the towns. See my separate tips on walking, the train, and parking a car.
(Another great way to see and travel between the towns is by boat. Have'nt done it yet but we hope to this spring).
A Friday morning in April 05 we checked out of our Hotel near Pisa, I decided to check my e-mail at the hotel computer before our drive home to Germany. In my in-box was a job offer to come work in Italy. Later that morning we stopped in the Cinque Terre, our experience enhanced with the thoughts of moving to bel' Italia.
A return visit March 06 confirmed that this is one of our favorite spots anywhere.
- Pros:sea, view, walks,
- Cons:I'm scratching my head.. troppo turismo?
This paved playground is small, with some swings, a slide, and a climbong device. But it was a nice place for the kids... more travel advice
As touristy as Cinque Terre is getting, many of the rooms to stay in are not able to be reserved in advance. This is... more travel advice
rubbersoul75's Related Pages
Liguria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LIGURIA - my favorite area in Italy !!"
- "Summer in Italy"
- "Cinque Terre"
- "Le Cinque Terre"
- "Hiking the Cinque Terre"
- "Liguria Coastline"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liguria
- Hotels in Liguria
- Transportation in Liguria
- Nightlife in Liguria
- Restaurants in Liguria
- Shopping in Liguria
- Warnings and Dangers in Liguria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liguria
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 25 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Liguria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liguria
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ferrara Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos