"More than just Venice" Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto by rubbersoul75
Veneto Travel Guide: 13,208 reviews and 35,771 photos
..and headed up the hill to snap this shot while there was still some snow capping the mountains.
The Veneto is one of the 20 regions that comprise Italy. As a region, it does'nt get the coverage as some of the other regions like Toscana & Umbria, but the Veneto has a lot more to offer than just it's amazing capitol city of Venice.
The Veneto is extremely diverse in landscape and terrain; this might not be appearent from the well toursited train line running due west from Venice.
The Region covers much of the Adriatic coastline south and east of Venice;
To the West, the eastern shores of Lake Guarda (Italys largest and cleanest lake) lie within the region;
The breathtaking Dolomites rise to the North, completely different than the Veneto plain.
The Veneto is bordered by Austria to the North, and 4 other Italian regions. Of course there is Venice, a most amazing city, but there are other key cities of the region that all deserve a visit. Treviso, Verona with its well preserved Roman Arena, Padua and the Scrovegni Chapel, Vicenza with its Palladian Architecture...
These cities and the region offer much more, and I hope to highlight the region further in the tips pages.
After spending sometime with locals from the Veneto, I've learned a saying they have which tries to summarizes\ some of the residents of the region:
Veneziani - gran signori
Padovani - gran dottori
Veronesi - tutti matti
Vicentini - mangia gatti
Venetians are great lords (With the former Power Venice held, all the important/rich folks took residence in Venice)
Paduans are great doctors (this refers to the esteemed medical school- Europes oldest, located in Padua)
Verona residents are all crazy (no comment)
Vicenza residents eat cats (As did other peoples, during the rough times when food was scarce, the Vicentini somehow got stuck with the label)
- Pros:Some great cities, art, mountains, Lakes, food, wine
- Cons:Heavy fog in the plains in the winter
- In a nutshell:Diverse region in a diverse country
Valeggio sul Mincio - sul Mincio meaning "Above the Mincio", and the Mincio being a river that runs from Lake Garda... more travel advice
Altopiano di Asiago - Or High Plain of Asiago is an area known for it's Asiago Cheese, bloody WWI battles, and skiing.... more travel advice
rubbersoul75's Related Pages
Veneto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEVER MORE VENETIAN REPUBLIC SLAVES OF ITALY!"
- "Venezia / Venedig & more !"
- "More than just Venice"
- "Veneto..... In general"
- "Besides Venice"
- "The locomotive of the North-East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veneto
- Hotels in Veneto
- Transportation in Veneto
- Nightlife in Veneto
- Restaurants in Veneto
- Shopping in Veneto
- Warnings and Dangers in Veneto
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Veneto
- 80 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 141 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Veneto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veneto
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ferrara Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Top Veneto hotels
- Venice Hotels
- 8137 Reviews - 21375 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1694 Reviews - 4251 Photos
- Padova Hotels
- 638 Reviews - 1746 Photos
- Mestre Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 136 Photos
- Treviso Hotels
- 197 Reviews - 607 Photos
- Vicenza Hotels
- 314 Reviews - 856 Photos
- Peschiera del Garda Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 107 Photos
- Malcesine Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 186 Photos
- Bardolino Hotels
- 39 Reviews - 88 Photos
- Quarto d'Altino Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Lido Hotels
- 69 Reviews - 161 Photos
- Burano Hotels
- 203 Reviews - 688 Photos
- Cortina d'Ampezzo Hotels
- 82 Reviews - 231 Photos
- Murano Hotels
- 102 Reviews - 327 Photos
- Portogruaro Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 61 Photos