"Montalcino - (constructing)" Top 5 Page for this destination Montalcino by rubbersoul75
Montalcino Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 337 photos
Quite impressive approaching Montalcino from the North or West. Crowning some of the most picturesque, Classic, Tuscan countryside - though not a lot of sites in the small town center, it's a nice stop for grabing a bite and of course sampling and buying vino from the world-class vineyards that surround the town. A few really great enotecca's in town will satisfy these desires.
On our visit, I found the suroundings of Montalcino more impressive than the town itself. I'm talking the views of countryside/rolling hills, vinyards, olive orchards, and the very special Abbazia di San Antimo. This historic Abbey, with it's tranquil Tuscan setting, is one of the most captivating spots in the Country.
See our travelogue below for some photos.
Home to Italy's king of the Vineyard, Brunello Di Montalcino. Arguably the countrys "best" and costliest wine. Also try Rosso di Montalcino, and on a good year, the potentially comparable Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (though for the full effect, head west to the actual town of Montepulciano and sample it there…)
Hey, in this region, you can hardly go wrong with the 3 euro a litre vino di casa, house wine.
- Pros:wonderful area of tuscany
- In a nutshell:checkout Montepulciano-more substance, Pienza-more charm
This is the small town right next to/above the Abbey of San Antimo. The photo is taken from just outside the doors of... more travel advice
Vino Di Montalcino In Montalcino, Brunello is a local name for the Sangiovese grape/wine. This wine, Brunello di... more travel advice
rubbersoul75's Related Pages
Montalcino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brunello and much more.."
- "Montalcino - (constructing)"
- "Montalcino - Vineyards & Olive Groves"
- "Welcome To Montalcino"
- "Montalcino, Home of Brunello"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montalcino
- Hotels in Montalcino
- Transportation in Montalcino
- Nightlife in Montalcino
- Restaurants in Montalcino
- Shopping in Montalcino
- Warnings and Dangers in Montalcino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montalcino
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Montalcino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montalcino
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Venice Carnival 2010"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enotecas - beverage, bit & shopping"
- Wrote a Review Castelnuovo del'Abate in Montalcino Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Montalcino Travel Page "Montalcino - (constructing)"
- Commented on one of sue_stone's Montalcino travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ferrara Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos