"Sirmione" Top 5 Page for this destination Sirmione by rubbersoul75
Sirmione Travel Guide: 162 reviews and 498 photos
An absolutely charming pedestrian only town, accessed through a picturesque castle, and surrounded by the waters of Lake Garda. But… the town can be suffocated by the hordes of tourists that flock here. If you are visiting during the nice weather months, try to avoid the weekends, or come early in the day to steer clear of some of the crowds.
Sirmione is located on a small peninsula that cuts into Lake Garda on the southern shore. Approaching the town from the south, you enter through the well preserved Castle complex that guards the city. This castle was built by the Scaligeri family of in the 13th century.
Beyond the Castle are the medieval streets of the town, saturated with shops, cafes, & restaurants. Going further north, the town thins out into a more natural setting with nice walks along the eastern shore of the small peninsula. At the tip are the wonderful Roman ruins of Grotte di Carullo.
We heard as much German & English as Italian in Sirmione and in spite of the crowds, the idyllic setting of the town will draw is back for future visits.
- Pros:perfect setting
- Cons:over touristed
This public beach is small, probably a little crowded, but close to the town center. It’s just to the east, or right,... more travel advice
As soon as you enter the town thorough the castle, “gelato ally” is straight ahead on Via Vittorio Emanuele. Immediately... more travel advice
rubbersoul75's Related Pages
Sirmione Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Place of the Magical Waters"
- "A beauty and excellent company"
- "Sirmione on Lake Garda"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sirmione
- Hotels in Sirmione
- Transportation in Sirmione
- Nightlife in Sirmione
- Restaurants in Sirmione
- Shopping in Sirmione
- Warnings and Dangers in Sirmione
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sirmione
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Sirmione?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sirmione
Photos in SirmioneSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ferrara Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos