"Citta Del Palladio" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza by rubbersoul75
Vicenza Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 859 photos
Vicenza is a nice size town, and without a doubt filled with some of the best examples of Italian Renaissance architecture. The force behind the architectural importance of Vicenza is a fellow by the name of Palladio (Originally born Andrea di Pietro, in Padua, 1508).
Whether or not you are a fan of architecture, you’ll surely appreciate some of the gems Vicenza has to offer. You should also know that many architects consider a "pilgrimage" to Vicenza and surrounding villas a must (though perhaps not quite the Mecca of architecture).
The city has much more to offer. It is small enough to get around easily on foot and is a very comfortable/manageable place to spend some time. It’s large enough to include some good shopping, restaurants, and the city’s location on the main Northern Italy train line (between Padova/Padua and Verona) makes it a convenient stop for train travelers.
Like just about every town in Italy, Vicenza dresses itself up for the Holidays. The lights pouring from the Basilica’s bell tower has a striking effect on the main Piazza.
The Piazza Dei Signori and Basilica make a nice starting point for a visit; theres a tourist info in the Piazza. From here you're within a 5 minute walk to most of the major sites. These include:
Corso Andrea Palladio - an elegant pedestrian strip
Teatro Olimpico - A must, Palladios final and perhaps most impressive work, Europes oldest surving indoor theatre.
Santa Corono - Impresive church built in 1261 to house a thorn from Christs crown thorn, Paintings by Bellini and Veronese, and beautiful marble mosaics
A number of Palladian Palazzi including "La Rotonda", south of town near the Pilgrimage Church of Monte Berico.
If you head south of the city center, up the hill behind the Train station you'll find the church of Monte Berico and be rewarded with great views if the city and surroundings- so long as there's no fog. If you're walking, be prepared for a load of steps. Also in this area is Palladios most famous work, the Villa La Rotonda, as well as Villa Valmarana.
Vicenza is located in the Veneto Region of Italy. The City (population just over 100,000) is the Capitol of the Vicenza province; Some of the other important cities in the province include Schio, Thiene, Bassano del Grappa, Marostica, and Asiago- the latter 3 all worth a visit.
- Pros:Very comfortable, medium sized town. Incredible Architecture, Palladian and other
- Cons:On the trendy/ expensive side if you're shopping in the city Center
- In a nutshell:Nice town in a lovely country...
Antonio Pigafetta was a member of the crew who travelled with the Explorer Magellan- he was on that first voyage that... more travel advice
To find the Loggia, head to the Giardini Salvi which is at the western end of town, from Corso Palladio, through the... more travel advice
rubbersoul75's Related Pages
Vicenza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town"
- "Vicenza - "Venezia on terra firma""
- "Build Well with Palladio touch"
- "Hello Palladio, looking for Tiepolo, and finding!"
- "Citta Del Palladio"
- "Vicenza, Citta di Palladio"
- "Vicenza; home of Palladio and his architecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicenza
- Hotels in Vicenza
- Transportation in Vicenza
- Nightlife in Vicenza
- Restaurants in Vicenza
- Shopping in Vicenza
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicenza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vicenza
- 22 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Vicenza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicenza
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tuscany Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liguria Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veneto Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Italy Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ferrara Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Campania Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos