"Windhoek - Our own little hill "country"" Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek by Edla

Windhoek Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 829 photos

My neighborhood

I live and work in Windhoek, actually I was born here. So i'd like to share with you all I can about Windhoek and the things to do here.

I perhaps need to mention here, that Windhoek isn't exactly the place for "typical touristy" things, like seeing animals or camping. You can however still have a great time and there are a couple of lodges and restaurants that will make your stay just as enjoyable. Like a Canadian VT friend says; After two weeks of being in the bush one just needs a little bit of "civilisation" to unwind before going back to the hectic life back home.

So Windhoek provides that perfect transition between seriously rural and seriously urban :)

This year was the first year we received so much rain. We were soooo excited...obviously the tourists were not impressed :) They had come for serious sunshine and we were thrlled with our cloudy skies :)

View from my apartment balcony

I love the sunset over the hills!

• Intro Updated Aug 28, 2006

Travelogues (1)

• Jul 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Dear Edla, thank you for your travel pages and for the info provided. I am in Windhoek since recently and they were helpful. I hope you manage to suceed with your plan to update! Best regards, Michael

• Jul 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for your Windhoek pics. Hope you'll answer my other email (I'll be in Windhoek on Aug,7, 14 & 24) and maybe we'll have a beer together in your city, watching the sunset. From Dorado Park? Hugs and kisses from France. Gilbert gilmeon@hotmail.com

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 9:48 PM

great tips

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 6:10 AM

Nice page, Edla! Excellent tips. Great photos too! Lovely country.

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 7:44 AM

WOW - looove the sunset and those hills... I think I need to relocate haha xx

• mizzzthanggg's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 12:42 AM

I'm likin' it, i'm likin it! Just not too sure abt the goat head... or feet... but i'll try the tripe! How's that??? Great tips, makes me wanna pack my best stuff and go mix with the fashion savvy locals ;-)

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Windhoek looks like a lovely place to live. I love the view from your balcony. I'm not so sure about eating goat though! thanks, Diane

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Hi Edla, great Windhoek page and tips - I love the sunset photo, it's stunning. fergy.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Really cool page, Edla! I enjoyed reading the tips. Nice clubs and wine bar... delicious cake, yummy! Have fun! :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 7:56 AM

Nice tips!

Edla Lives Here!

Edla

“It's not the city, it's the people...definitely!”

Badges & Stats in Windhoek

Have you been to Windhoek?

Latest Activity in Windhoek