"After The First Capitol, a College" St. Marys City by DEBBBEDB
St. Marys City Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 79 photos
The Ark and the Dove landed at St. Clement's Island on March 25, 1634. Later the 150 or so settlers purchased land from the Yaocomico Indians and founded St. Mary's City. Until 1695, Saint Mary's City was the capitol of Maryland. The town pretty much disappeared after that move.
The current Saint Mary's City is the home of Saint Mary's College which was formerly a Female Seminary. In spite of the name, Saint Mary's College is a Maryland State School, and not a Catholic college. The college was built on or near the site of the first capitol. None of the original buildings remain.
Debbie spent some time in Saint Mary's City as a high school freshman working on the archeological excavations as a volunteer. Deb and Barb both had sailing lessons down here with their cousin. DEB attended Saint Mary's College for a couple of semesters. Barb and Beth both took a class here when they were seniors in high school.
We went to the Visitor's Center first. According to the lady there, there were two groups of kids - 8th grade and fourth... more travel advice
DEBBBEDB's Related Pages
St. Marys City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "After The First Capitol, a College"
- "St. Mary's City - the first capitol of MD"
- "Maryland's Origins - St. Mary's City"
- "Maryland's First Capital"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in St. Marys City
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to St. Marys City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St. Marys City
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: First time Key West visit!"
- Commented on one of Tom_Fields's St. Marys City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the Chapel and Tobacco Plantation in St. Marys City Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the Chapel and Tobacco Plantation"
- updated a St. Marys City Travel Page "After The First Capitol, a College"
Photos in St. Marys CitySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 25 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 22 reviews, 104 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 13 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Denver Intro, 11 reviews, 51 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cheltenham Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grand Cayman Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos