"Oneroa A Tohe" Ninety Mile Beach by kotitihaere

Ninety Mile Beach Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 66 photos

Wild, Isolated, Dangerous, HOME!!!!!

The Oneroa a Tohe, also known as 90 mile beach is situated at the top on the North Island and runs along the west coast of the Te Aupouri penninsula.

If you look at the picture you will see a yellow circle. This is where we stay.

Sometimes we have to move when the king tides are coming as we can get washed out!

• Last visit to Ninety Mile Beach: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 31, 2012

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Wow! What fantastically detailed and practical tips for driving on 90 Mile Beach! We need more of this sort of information on VT!
    I was quite surprised to see that driving on beaches is still allowed in New Zealand. It was outlawed here in South Africa several years ago, much to the disgust of beerswilling boykies in bakkies!
    Regards
    Cathy

• kotitihaere's Profile Photo
      Nov 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Thank you for that Cathy! I had to write about it as over the years living out here and seeing so many tourists getting into difficulties! Hopefully these tips will help :D

We don't really get beerswilling boykies in bakkies up the Tohe proper, just at the bottom in Ahipara which is the only built up area of the whole place - thank goodness :D

I guess because for alot of us up here the Tohe is our main road and as it is gazetted as a legal road it can not be outlawed for driving on a "road"

You must come and visit sometime!

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 2:11 AM

Fantastic transportation tips !!! Jaap

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 12:57 PM

I've seen the Sweep in action!! Your tips are Excellent, and I hope visitors read them. Welcome aboard, look forward to more from a local :-)) Kia Ora, Pam .

kotitihaere Lives Here!

kotitihaere

“RTW overland - only 3 flights - NZ to Bali, across the Atlantic, across the Pacific. - 6 - 8 years :-)”

Badges & Stats in Ninety Mile Beach

Have you been to Ninety Mile Beach?

Friends