"Rarotonga - Paradise on Earth" Cook Islands by emmicat

Cook Islands Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 956 photos

Home away from home

The Cook Islands was my vacation destination spot of choice for 4 years in a row and then thought I should try somewhere else for sun and relaxation. So off to Mexico I went, which was nice but not quite the same somehow. In May I needed a break and on the spur of the moment I decided that I would revisit my old favorite rather than rack my brain thinking up someplace new.

I have fallen in love all over again!!! Rarotonga had changed a little in the two years I was away but basically it was the same wonderful place. The beaches are beautiful and plentiful and, for the most part, deserted but yet only steps away from the main road which goes around the island. The people are friendly and I received a warm welcome back from some of the locals I had met on previous trips. The pace is still slow and relaxing if that's your pleasure but you can also find various activities to keep you occupied.

Petty theft is pretty much the only thing a visitor needs to worry about although if you're out driving on a Friday night be wary of the party crowd coming home on their motorbikes. Accidents abound on the week-end.

Be warned though that these are TROPICAL islands and it rains!! Hard and fairly often but rarely lasts for long, Regardless, it's always warm (sometimes a bit too warm when the humidity is high) and there are many, many of those absolutely perfect days when the sun is shinning and there are a few white clouds being blown across the sky by a gentle south pacific breeze.

There are many excellent eating places on Rarotonga and no lack of drinking establishments. Be warned that although the resorts are lovely and nice to go to for "happy hour" the prices are more than you might find elsewhere and the food is not near as good as a rule. Try the less "touristy" bars with no view and no umbrella drinks and you'll find yourself saving money, meeting the locals, and getting a flavor of the island.

• Pros:Just about everything
  • Cons:Mmmmmmmm
  • Last visit to Cook Islands: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2006

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2007 at 4:37 AM

Those dancers look so cute and happy :)

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Hi, great pages on the Rarotonga. Brings back fond memories from my only visit. Am intrigued by the carved pearls. Could be my ticket back if the wife likes them, too. Thanks, Mart

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2006 at 5:16 AM

Hello Jean! Cook Islands - they look like paradise. Great tips and excellent pictures. Happy birthday from Finland.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 6:06 PM

Thanks for you tips on the Cook Islands . we're heading there in a couple of days...really looking forward to it.

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 5:46 PM

Loved Rarotonga, and loved reading your page, it was like a mini return trip for me. What a gorgeous sunset shot!...Wendy

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 3:47 AM

Beautiful page about a beautiful place! Would love to go back!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 10:45 PM

This is very nice Jean you are doing the tips very well .I will write you about the fonts how to get colour font Keep up the great work Jean

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 4:37 PM

Great little page, lovely photos and good packing list here !! regards, kiwi.

emmicat Visits Here Frequently!

emmicat

“It only gets better!”

Badges & Stats in Cook Islands

Have you been to Cook Islands?

Latest Activity in Cook Islands