"Barentsburg" Barentsburg by shugoey
Barentsburg Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 52 photos
Barentsburg is a Russian settlement on Svalbard. It has around 700 russian and ukainian inhabitants. It is more or less built on top of the coal mine.
I came here on a boat trip from Longyearbyen. The place is very grey and poor, but still very fascinating. We had a guided tour, which took around 30 minutes. There is one street, a museum, a post office, a hotel and a souvernir shop.
The snow around Barentsburg was very black from pollution. The power plant was the first thing we spotted getting in to Barentsburg. Our guide told us that the russian coal company is planning to build a new power plant next year.
- Pros:Grey, poor
- Cons:Fascination history
In the main street the is a Museum, which is suppose to be very interesting. We never had the time to visit on our short... more travel advice
shugoey's Related Pages
Barentsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Russian Barentsburg"
- "Barentsburg - the last Soviet frontier"
- "black snow..."
- "Barentsburg , the pearl of Svalbard"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barentsburg
- Transportation in Barentsburg
- Restaurants in Barentsburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Maryland Hotels
- Saint Louis
- Ad Dammam
- Johnson Shut-Ins State Park Hotels
- Región Metropolitana de Santiago
- Denpasar Hotels
- Porto Santo Stefano
- Klein Curaçao Hotels
- Marsa al `Alam
- Isla Barbareta Hotels
- Peng Chau Island
- Traverse City
- Province of Pangasinan
- Woodlands Hotels
Badges & Stats in Barentsburg
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Barentsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barentsburg
Photos in BarentsburgSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Debark' Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hammerfest Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Longyearbyen Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Stavanger Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Bergen Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lindau 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston 7 photos, 1 travelogue