"Tromsoe" Tromsų by shugoey
Tromsų Travel Guide: 253 reviews and 686 photos
Tromsoe is the largest city in the Nordic countries north of the Arctic Circle. The city lives on education, research, administration, fishing exports and satellite technology. The centre of the north has appr. 62,000 residents.
Tromsoe was founded in 1794. The city was given the nickname Gateway to Arctic, because it was the starting point for expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic in the early 1900s. In the last 50 years, there has been an exceptional growth in population, which is in part due to the establishment of institutions like the University of Tromsoe and the Norwegian Polar Institute.
Tromsoe enjoy a moderate insular climate. Summer weather ranges from five degrees Celsius and rain to 28 degrees and sunny days. Winter is not especially cold. The record low temperature is minus18 degrees Celsius, while the average January temperature is minus four, but in return there is often a lot of snow.
The Midnight Sun is visible from around May 21 to around July 21. Between November 21 and January 21, the sun disappears under the horizon and we experience the Polar Nights. It is not completely dark during the middle of the day, and the light and colour in the sky is amazing when the weather is favourable.
Nice hotel close to the harbour. My room had no view, but the harbour is just outside the door. They have a nice... more travel advice
shugoey's Related Pages
Tromsų Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "To Tromsoe by Hurtigruten"
- "On seeing the Northern Lights (at last!)"
- "Saagar's Tromsų pages"
- "Tromso: a very nice town"
- "Beautiful Tromso - Gateway to the Arctic"
- "the gate of the arctic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tromsų
- Hotels in Tromsų
- Transportation in Tromsų
- Nightlife in Tromsų
- Restaurants in Tromsų
- Shopping in Tromsų
- Warnings and Dangers in Tromsų
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tromsų
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Tromsų?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tromsų
Photos in TromsųSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Debark' Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hammerfest Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Longyearbyen Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Stavanger Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Bergen Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Lindau 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston 7 photos, 1 travelogue