"The gate to Simien Mountains" Debark' by shugoey
Debark' Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 129 photos
This small town is about 3-4 hours drive from Gondor. There is one main street. Here you will find horsetaxi, mules, cows and goat together with a lot of friendly people. There is few small hotell and restaurants in the town.
The Simien Mountains National Parks headquarters is located in Debark. Here you must pay the park fees and the receipt will be check in the entrance gate near Buyit Ras, about 15 km from Debark.
It is mandatory to have a scout, but not a guide. Our scout did not speak any english and a guide was very useful. It is also possible to rent a cook, mules and mule-drivers.
Three of Ethiopias endemic large animals are resident in the Simien Mountains. The gelada baboons is the most common and the easiest to spot. Large herds up to 400 individuals can be seen around the park. We saw them every day on our 5 days of hiking. You are also likely to see them if you are driving trough the park.
We also saw the Walia Ibex, but only from a distance.
We did not see the Ethiopian wolf, but we saw the common jackals around both the Gich and Chennek camps.
- Pros:Gate to Simien Mountains
The Imet Gogo summit (3926 m) is the best observation point in the Simien Mountains as it offers spectacular views in... more travel advice
It possible to hire mules to ride. Hiking in this altitude is very hard and an good alternative is to ride a mule. The... more travel advice
shugoey's Related Pages
Debark' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Debark and Simien Mountains"
- "Debark - Gate to Simien Mountains National Park"
- "The gate to Simien Mountains"
- "Simen mountains"
- "Gate to the Simien Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Debark'
- Hotels in Debark'
- Transportation in Debark'
- Restaurants in Debark'
- Shopping in Debark'
- Warnings and Dangers in Debark'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Debark'
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Debark'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Debark'
Top 10 Pages
- Debark' Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hammerfest Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Longyearbyen Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Stavanger Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Munich 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Bergen Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Lindau 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston 7 photos, 1 travelogue