"Amsterdam" Amsterdam by MonicaLouise
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,351 reviews and 21,748 photos
After four trips to Amsterdam and surrounding areas in Holland I chose this shot for my intro picture because it is one of my favorite places in the world. Don't get me wrong - on all my trips I visited plenty of the must-sees: The Anne Frank House, The Rijksmuseum, The Van Gogh Museum, The "red-light" district, The Hague, Madurodam, Floriade, Delft, etc. but watching the Dutch world go by from this corner is a priceless experience shared with ordinary regulars who stop by this cafe on their way home from work for Leeuw Bier or Duval or whatever. We had to search for what seemed hours to find it the second time back but persisted and have looked forward to spending "down time" here on every return trip. Only adult beverages served, no food - but there are plenty of dining spots on the busy block of Spui Street to the right of where this photo was taken from across the square. We would even watch for an outside table to open up at the tapas bar across and down the street, toddle over for dinner and look longingly back at whoever was sitting in our vacated spot. I wish they had a webcam set up where I took this photo - but then I would get nothing done ...
By the fourth time in Amsterdam, I was ready to try the whole biking scene that makes this area so cool. One of many things, I should say. Anyway, I started out on my solo journey with "training wheels" in Vondel Park which was just a block or two away from the rental store. I was so pleased that because of my short stature (5'4" and short legs) I got to return the glaring red tourist rental and was offered this little blue bike - I could even cover up the front rental logo with my bag. I don't know if I fooled anyone but I so wanted to fit in. After looping through the park I ventured out into the "real world" of the Overtoom. And so on. Can't wait to do it again...
Just a street shot taken while wandering about with the camera. Click on this photo to get the full effect of the enlarged version - I loved the architectural details of this building and the bike casually parked in front...
Amsterdam is a wonderful place to seek out back corners and tiny roads interlaced with canals - mix in the busy natives swarming around on their bikes all in a days routine - a visual paradise.
Carry a picnic lunch and find a quiet place to eat and rest up half way through a self-guided walking tour of the maze... more travel advice
Vondelpark is a great place to start out when renting a bicycle for the first time in Amsterdam. The park dates from the... more travel advice
MonicaLouise's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Prayers for all Bostonians!"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam"
- Commented on one of ozalp's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review Take a Self-Guided Walking Tour about Canals & Boat Tours in Amsterdam Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Take a Self-Guided Walking Tour"
Top 10 Pages
- Italy Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 2 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meersburg Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Idfu Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bavaria Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.