"My Homepage - My Hometown" MonicaLouise's Profile
This topographical map of my home town, Wilmington Delaware, is actually a puzzle that my clever sister custom ordered for a Christmas gift. The center piece is in the shape of a house and it denotes exactly where I live. I removed it to make this more visible in the photo. (Ironically, Interstate I-95 runs out through the chimney !!) I had been “puzzling” over a home page and this just seemed to be it. Since this is a travel site, I thought readers would be more interested in my “place” in the world, rather than my many interests, or my pets, or what films I like best, etc.
As you can see, I live in an urban area - my house was constructed for a millworker in the late 1800s. BUT the river and adjoining parkland one block away were preserved by smart, forseeing men of that time - my dog and I spend a part of every day in the natural settings among the wildlife. Three parks: Brandywine, Alapocas and Rockford are connected by the river and walking paths, starting at the bottom right corner of this map and continuing uninterrupted for a few miles.
HAPPENING IN "MY BACKYARD" !!!
The July/August 2009 edition of National Geographic Traveler Magazine lists the world's most beautiful, interesting, and off-beat road trips. They include Italy's Amalfi coast, the Pirate Route in Jamaica, the Pacific Coast Highway in California, the Finger Lakes in upstate New York...and...drum rolls please...THE BRANDYWINE VALLEY !!! Yes that's right up the road just a few miles from me !!! The magazine says "the 12-mile stretch of the Brandywine Valley from Kennett Square, PA southeast to Wilmington may seem brief but it takes a few days to truly enjoy." I learned to drive on the backroads that connect the following sites:
The Brandywine River Museum,
Winterthur Museum & Country Estate,
the newly renovated Nemours Mansion & Gardens,
The Hagley Museum,
the gardens of Mount Cuba Center, and
The Inn at Montchanin which includes Krazy Kats Restaurant.
Wow....did the NG Traveler folks really enjoy all this is just a few days ?? Sounds like you need a week at the minimum... Plan your trip and come visit...
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FINDS US AGAIN !!!
The April 2013 National Geographic features the Brandywine Valley again ! With stunning photos by Michael Melford, the article describes the new attention being drawn to this area because Delaware just became the 400th unit added to the National Park System. While Delaware prides itself on being the "first state" to ratify the Constitution on December 7, 1787, it was the last state to acquire a National Park...
Click photo gallery for all Mr. Medford's photos.
I've taken the liberty of choosing a few for my page:
NEW YORK TIMES TRAVEL MAGAZINE: 36 HOURS TO EXPLORE OUR BEAUTIFUL BRANDYWINE VALLEY !!!
The August 2013 New York Times Travel section features the Brandywine Valley yet again !! As part of their "36 Hours In....." series, they actually give an itinerary for exploring and eating your way around the area. Included are some of my favorites: Sovano Bistro in Kennett Square (PA), The Gables in Chadds Ford (PA) and the Centerville Cafe which is a little gem tucked away in an old farmhouse right down the road from the more famous amd newly renovated Buckley's Tavern.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 35 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
updated their Profile Page "My Homepage - My Hometown"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Prayers for all Bostonians!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My Homepage - My Hometown"
- updated a Meersburg Travel Page "Life on Lake Constance"
- Commented on JLBG's profile page
- Wrote a Review Mount Vesuvius/Herculaneum in Campania Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Italy Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 2 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meersburg Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Sorrento Intro, 6 reviews, 12 photos
- Idfu Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bavaria Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aswan Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22457 Reviews - 54961 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2056 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos