"Day tour to Epidaurus" Epidaurus by sunshine9689
Epidaurus Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 176 photos
There were a bunch of things to see in ancient Epidaurus besides the theater: banqueting hall (Hestiatoreion), baths and palaestra (wrestling school).. But my eyes were on that gem. I was at awe!
The theater was designed by Polykleitos the Younger in the 4th century BC and had 34 rows originally. It was extended by another 21 by Romans. 15 thousand people came to listen to the performances there.
When atop the theater, one can see a beautiful valley behind it. That was typical for Greek theaters and was meant to be a part of the whole experience. I could not agree more! I mean, it was just a pure delight for eyes. :)
Perfect acoustics of the theater allow performers to speak in their normal voice and be heard on all the rows. The sound travels so well, that one can drop a coin in the middle of the arena and everyone in the theater will hear it hit the ground. I know I did.
It`s a popular thing for tour guides to do by the way. I only wish they would not occupy the center of the stage for too long. I much rather see an occasional tourist perform something in their language.
Just like the day when we were there - an elderly French couple sang a song there and it was beautiful.
There are buses departing Nafplio for Epidaurus few times a day.
In May 2008 their schedule was: 10.15am, 12pm, 2.30pm.
From Epidaurus to Nafplio: 12pm, 1pm, 3.45pm, 6pm.
The journey takes about 45 minutes.
You do not need to buy tickets in advance, just purchase it on the bus. On way ticket costs 2.60 euro.
NOTE: Buses for Epidaurus do not leave from the usual place in front of the ticket office. I drew a map to show their location. I do not know however if it is a permanent situation or it just happened when we were there. I recommend you to check it just in case.
Transportation: 2.60 euro per person for one way ticket.
Entrance ticket: 6 euro per person.
Total for the trip: 11.20 euro per person.
sunshine9689's Related Pages
Epidaurus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanctuary&Theatre in Epidaurus"
- "Theatre and Healing"
- "Epidaurus - the harmony of nature and architecture"
- "There are three Epidaure"
- "The best theatre in the world"
- "Sanctuary of Asklepios at Ancient Epidaurus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Epidaurus
- Hotels in Epidaurus
- Transportation in Epidaurus
- Restaurants in Epidaurus
- Shopping in Epidaurus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Epidaurus
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Epidaurus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Epidaurus
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 96 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hrodna Intro, 40 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos
- Nafplio Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos
- Yangshuo Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos