"My home town where I spent first 17 y. of my life" Top 5 Page for this destination Hrodna by sunshine9689
Hrodna Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 275 photos
We have quite an old town here. It was first mentioned in chronicles in 1128.
We are the only ones in the Republic who have a Zoo. It is quite ugly, but still - it is a Zoo! ;)
Our town is small (316 thousand people) but has a lot of character. People say it`s the most beautiful in Belarus.
We have abandance of attractive women and lack of men. Welcome, guys! :-)
Did you know that:
1) Meyer Lansky (a notorious gangster who was instrumental in the development of US mafia and one of the founders of Las Vegas) was born in Hrodna, in 1902. Immigrated to US with his family in 1911. His real name was Majer Suchowlinski.
2) Hrodna Farnij Cathedral has the oldest in Eastern Europe pendulum clock, built in the 17th century. The clock works due to the gravity of a 60 kg stone - the stone goes down 15 meters within each 36 hours.
3) Peter The Great of Russia came to Hrodna once - to open Farnij Cathedral himself.
4) Hrodna and its district have 80% of all Belarussian architectural monuments.
Festival is once in 2 years (next will be in June, 2010) and is dedicated to Slavic cultures.
In 2006 it started on the 2nd of June and lasted for a couple of days. Different countries-neighbours attend it and bring their crafts, food, entertainment (dancing, singing, playing traditional musical instruments).
This year we had Polish, Russian, Jewish, Georgian, Armenian, Ukrainian, German, Moldovian, Lithuanian, Latvian, French, Kazakhstanian, Tadzikistanian, Gipsy, Greek, Dagestanian, Korean, Uzbekistanian, Tatars, Azerbadzanian, Bashkirian, Afganistanian and Palestinian representatives.
Our bridge has been undergoing major reconstruction for half a year.
I am happy to say that it is done now. Hurrah!!!
It`s a new place. Rumor has it, if you get drunk there, they`ll bring you home on their limo. :-) Dunno about that,... more travel advice
This museum is more 80 years old (opened in 1922) and is located in the 15th century castle - The Old Castle. There... more travel advice
- See All Hrodna Night Clubs
- Addresses of our 5 hotels
- See All If you need to withdraw cash
- See All International buses from Hrodna
sunshine9689's Related Pages
Hrodna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My home town where I spent first 17 y. of my life"
- "The most beautiful town in Belarus"
- "Grodno : 80's communism is still alive."
- "Hrodna - the city of street lights!"
- "Grodno - Great City In The Russian Shadow"
- "minchanka's new Hrodna Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hrodna
- Hotels in Hrodna
- Transportation in Hrodna
- Nightlife in Hrodna
- Restaurants in Hrodna
- Shopping in Hrodna
- Warnings and Dangers in Hrodna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hrodna
- 40 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Hrodna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hrodna
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 98 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hrodna Intro, 40 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 31 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos
- Nafplio Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos
- Yangshuo Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos