"Alternative Crete." Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island by NatassaPL
Crete Island Travel Guide: 1,431 reviews and 3,750 photos
"Crete 's mystery is extremely deep. Whoever sets foot on this island senses a mysterious force branching warmly and beneficently through his veins, senses his soul begin to grow"
A small point of history
The name Sitia is derived from the ancient city of Itia, birthplace of one of the seven wise-men of the antiquity, Mison. In the site that the town is built today only few archaeological findings have been excavated. Middle-Minoan and Late-Minoan tombs, Geometrical and Hellenic statues and shells, Roman buildings and an Early-Christian Basilica.
Sitia existed during the Late-Minoan period and until the Venetian period. During the Venetian occupation the town of Sitia was destroyed three times. In 1508 by a terrible earthquake, in 1538 by the pirate Barbarosa and in 1651 by the Venetians so as not to fall in the hands of the Turks.
For two centuries Sitia ceased to exist as a town, until 1869. The present city was built in 1870. Since then, Sitia is developing to one of the most important urban areas in Crete.
Sitia is a port town in the far east of Crete. With 10.000inhabitants, it is the smallest town in the prefecture of Lasithi. It lies to the east of Agios Nikolaos and to the northeast of Ierapetra.
The town is one of the economic centers of the Lasithi region. European route E75, starts in Sitia.
Sitia is a pleasant place to live. with an airport and a port you never feel like a prisoner in the end of the island. Sitia's local economy is the olive oil. All habitants are also involved with the cultivation of the olive trees. Sitia is surrounded by amazing beaches. In front of the town is one 2km long beach and in spread of 30 kilometers there are more than 20 amazing beaches with crystal waters, never crowded was nobody knows them except the locals. Sitia is not so "touched" from tourism, is never crowded, and in restaurants and bars still working greeks.
- Pros:A place to discover
- In a nutshell:If you still trying to find a quiet place in Crete, here it is. Sitia.
NatassaPL's Related Pages
Crete Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In Search Of The Minotaur"
- "The REAL and IDEAL PaRaDiSe!"
- "Alternative Crete."
- "Crete - the place to be"
- "1 week, 1100 kilometres"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crete Island
- Hotels in Crete Island
- Transportation in Crete Island
- Nightlife in Crete Island
- Restaurants in Crete Island
- Shopping in Crete Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Crete Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crete Island
- 47 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 52 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Crete Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crete Island
- Posted in Travel Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Forum "Re: Christmas in Provence /France"
- Commented on one of MikeBird's Crete Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review weather in Elounda during christmas period in Crete Island Favorites
- updated a Crete Island Travel Page "Alternative Crete."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alternative Crete."
Photos in Crete IslandSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 47 reviews, 61 photos
- Beirut Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Greece Intro, 19 reviews, 13 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Athens Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Patras Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Milan Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Rapallo 1 review, 3 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Paros Island Intro, 3 photos