"Ephesus the open air Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Ephesus by fachd
Ephesus Travel Guide: 531 reviews and 2,008 photos
Today Ephesus is probably the best-preserved ancient city and outdoor museum in the world. It is located on the south of Izmir?s Selcuk country. It was a gateway for the west to get acquainted to the eastern world. Ephesus was a powerful and influential city during the Roman time.
Like any other ancient city, in her long career Ephesus was settled by many invaders. Original Ephesus was founded around 1500BC. The Ionian migrated around 1000BC that made the city great. In 700 BC it was captured by the Cimmerians they were there for a while. During the Lydian rule in 560BC Ephesus became the riches cities in the Mediterranean.
In 546BC King Cyrus of Persia also ruled Ephesus until the arrival of Alexander the Great in 334 B.C, during his reign and even after his death under General Lysimachus Ephesus was enjoying peaceful period. The Greek philosopher Perilictus made Ephesus his home.
Pergamon Kingdom took over in 190BC before the mighty Romans. It was the Roman who turned Ephesus into a powerful and influential city. In 129 B.C it became part of the Roman Empire and made it into capital city in Asia Minor. During Roman authority Ephesus had many rulers. There was Roman dictator Sulla who crushed mutiny against Roman authority who imposed the population with heavy taxes.
The city of Ephesus grew considerably during the reign of Augustus. Today the ruin of Ephesus that we see, walk and admire was constructed under his reign.
During Byzantium era it was believed St Paul accompanied the Virgin Mary to Ephesus approximately around 45AD. Renaissance historian has mentioned the trip in their book. Not far from the ancient ruin there?s a small house that was built by the local Christians for the Virgin Mary. The legend stated that she spent her last days here. The legend has been confirmed by Pope Paul VI. Today the small house is turn into a chapel.
St John from the early Christian also came and lived here. In the early second century he died in Ephesus.
The last invader of Ephesus was the Seljuk Turks who defeated the Byzantines in 1090. Ten years later in 1100 the Byzantines regained control. Eventually the city slowly decayed and around 15th century Ephesus was abandoned.
- Pros:All great
- Cons:I can't think of negativity
- In a nutshell:Ephesus is one of the best ancient ruins.
I am not sure who this statue is. If some one out there in the cyber world can tell me who this guy is. more travel advice
Goddess Nike can be found in Curetes street. In Greek mythology the meaning of Nike is Victory. In Greek culture she was... more travel advice
fachd's Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 17 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
- updated a Ephesus Travel Page "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- Posted in Travel Guanajuato Forum "Re: Guanajuato Mexico"
- Commented on one of longsanborn's Ephesus travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Ephesus
- Wrote a Review Have you lost your head in Ephesus Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Prytaneion important building in Ephesus"
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 48 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guanajuato Intro, 29 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 27 reviews, 115 photos
- Moscow Intro, 36 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 32 reviews, 98 photos
- Bali Intro, 26 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 31 reviews, 90 photos
- Krakow Intro, 30 reviews, 88 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 24 reviews, 91 photos
- Madrid Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos