"WHITE BEACH, Puerto Galera, Mindoro Oriental" Puerto Galera by travelpitstops

Puerto Galera Travel Guide: 367 reviews and 938 photos

You Cannot Apparate!

I just realized Puerto Galera really has one of the most accessible quality beach from Metro Manila. :)
Step as follows:

(1) BUS to BATANGAS PORT

~~If you are going from the north of metro manila, the nearest stations are in CUBAO, EDSA or ORTIGAS. Vans are also accessible in some parts of department stores terminal. If you are nearer to the south, it is better to catch a bus in BUENDIA (GIL PUYAT STATION OF TAFT). From there, you have lots of bus "brands" to choose from. They have JAM, GREENSTAR, TRITRAN, etc. There are also several bus stations in ALABANG, however, the buses are smaller and they are situated in the city's market. Most of them are not airconditioned too. convenience wise? i'l choose Buendia. I am coming from the south anyway.

~~As much as possible, choose a trip via stargate tollway/CALABARZON as they take an alternative high-way route which is considerable faster. Travel time is around 2 hours and 30 minutes and bus trips are as frequent as every 30-minutes on a summer and weekend or 1 hour intervals during regular days. They leave pretty much on sched so if you would like to get a good seat, be wary of your time table. Fare is around P150 ($3), one way.

(2) BOAT

~~Batangas Port is one of the main port entry in the south but don't get too intimidated. If you know how to read, then you will have no problem. The signs for the designated boats and destinations are indicated.

~~Just be careful of some porters who will offer rides in return of money for carrying your luggages. If you really need the service, then by all means seek them. But if do not have spare change and will let them carry your bags with valuables, then forget it. They walk really fast! So, if you really want to let them carry some of your baggages, I insist you be vigilant and let them take something you think you can afford to lose! Hehe.

~~Upon arrival, we were lucky to have catch a boat which leaving in the next 15 minutes. One of the porter who carried our bags is affiliated with the boat so there was no problem getting our tickets. It costs P 170 and a one time terminal fee of P 10, so a total of P 180 ($4). The boat we happen to ride upon going there was SOL Y MAR and MB NATIVIDAD upon leaving. I like the former better as it was newly built and the seats were well spaced and formatted like that of a bus, unlike the "older" boats whose seats are arranged in a circular manner, making it a bit uncomfortable. But nonetheless, the trip was bearable.

~~Trips going to WHITEBEACH is around 1 hour and 30 minutes the least and 2 hours and 30 minutes the most, if the waves were harder to navigate (usually around after lunch onward). There were some minor splashes but you can ask one of the boatmen to put down their covers for you if it wasn't still.

~~We left Batangas Port on time eventhough there's only around 10 of us. So again, be conscious of the time! And don't forget to savor in the breeze of the sea! If you're lucky enough, you might see the whales! :)

You Still Need to Sleep!

We stayed at WHITE BEACH NIPA HUT. I texted my contact person, Ms. EDNA to find us a BEACHFRONT, AIRCONDITIONED, with TV and private BATHROOM and she offered a P 1000 ($ 20) room. Actually she gave us an option for a P 800 ($ 16) room but the former is nearer to the beach.

The room was quite big and we had 1 single and 1 king bed for just the 2 of us. The cable was down most of the day but it was up and running come dinner so we can still watch the news. There was no heater but what the heck, it's summer! :)

Ms. Edna's no. if 09185207586. Just text her your requirements for the place, how many guests will be staying and she'll surely accomodate you to your heart's content! Just say to her that I (Macy) referred you. She will even fetch you from your banca and has her own boat for snorkelling. Oh and yeah, gave her a hefty thief! :)

***CONT. OF BELOW****

SHOPPING
~~They have very cheap souvenir T-SHIRTS around P 100 ($ 1) for adults and P 80 for kids with good fabric. My tip is to HAGGLE and CANVASS first which stall has the best designs and nicest seller! :) They usually give us free 2 thread anklets for every shirt.
~~The stalls in the island also has very affordable sarongs (cover-ups) from around P 120 ($ 1.20) Tie dyes and then P 180 ($ 3) for the white or black. The tie dyes usually smear other fabric with your first wash so make sure you wash it first before you use it or else you can say goodbye to your favorite bikini! :)
~~I don't know if it's a trend but yes, all of them offers crocheted bikinis and cover ups! :)
~~Be drowned in thousands of accessories being sold in the area! And as I always say~~haggle! haggle! haggle! (and canvass too!) :)

DINING
~~For every meal, be prepared to allot at least around P 100 ($ 2) to be sure of a hefty meal. You can also choose from the variety of the freshly caught seafood in almost every restaurant every night. There is not much variety but they some have pizza's (FERNANDOS) and a few other cuisine. But mostly, it is grilled (kebab included) and Filipino food. For the budget conscious, you can bring canned goods and have it sauteed by the restos for a minimal charge of P 60 ($ 1) and have your bottles of mineral water refilled starting from P 10.
~~Of course, nothing beats the traditional Filipino HALO-HALO (which literally means mix-mix made from fruits and sweets) and the fruit shakes! You can get each at P 50 ($ 1) in all restos. Best eaten under the sun! :)

How To Enjoy The Magick!

There are several activities you can enjoy in the place. Since we have been there for about a week, we were able to try almost all of the famed "galera specialties".

MASSAGE BY THE BEACH
~~This is absolutely heavenly and my most favorite treat in the island! Imagine having an hour of bliss for half the price compared to the city We've tried it around thrice and it gets even better after a day of swimming or after a night of partying or a banana boat ride!
~~The rates are around P 150 to P 200 ($3-4) and should be no more than that! Masseuse have their license for their services and if ever they overcharge you, you can ask for their name and report them to their president who usually lounges around the beachshore.
~~The one thing I've learned, if you pay P 200 ($4), you get your money's worth and so much more! :) We tried haggling for the first time, the massage was still great but it was very short (only around 45 minutes) as compared to when we agreed to pay P 200 (we got until around 1 hour and 30 minutes).
~~Massage in your respective rooms are usually not allowed as it can be miscontrued as prostitution. And of your own safety, don't do it. You can never be sure too. Also, isn't it nice to hear the waves of the sea and the whistling of the birds while they stroke every sore muscle in your body?

BANANA BOAT
~~Oh! This is evil! hehe. I haven't gotten the chance to try this in Boracay but now I did! It doesn't look scary when you see the bright yellow pencil shaped "boat" (now I wonder why it's called banana!), but it is once you ride it and the pump boat pulls it's speed and moves on a sudden turn, then you'll have no choice but to release your grip from the boat and be thrown into the sea! Hehe. It sort of caught you off guard and usually you bump into one of your co-rider's hard strong bones(the highest possibility of is the rider nearest you)! hehe! Price is P150 ($3) per head per ride. And oh, my friend and I woke up with sore muscles specially our friggin' necks! :)

SNORKELING
~~I think Mindoro's underwater is better than those in Aklan (Boracay). This is in all in fairness. hehe. Too bad we do not have a waterproof case for our digicam though! According to reviews, Puerto Galera really has one of the best coral reefs in the Philippines. We brought some bread with us and it was definitely fun and ticklish luring the fish to eat it! ~~We paid around P1250 ($ 25) for the boat rental. It depends on how people will share, theres only 5 of us, so we that's around P250 ($ 5) per person. The masks are already inclusive. On site, a smaller banca will guide you, that's another P 50 ($ 1) per person (we haggle, it was supposed to be P 75 ($1.5) per person. hehe) and then P 50 ($ 1) for the swimming shoes (Because you have to wear them, trust me. The corals are sharp and they are very well within reach! The guide even has to remind has several times to be careful with our legs even with swimming shoes on!) It was all well worth it!
~~We also went to other islands to do some swimming and take some pictures. But we were so exhausted it's us who urged the boatman to go home! The tour took around 5 hours.

CONTACT PERSON:
Ms. EDNA 09185207586 (Just tell her you were referred by MACY.)

MINDORO SLING
~~We went to the famous HIYAS BAR for 3 consecutive nights and I must say, their GAY GIRLS ROCK! They'll entertain and treat you like royalty. Don't forget to give them tips as I have interviewed them and you will not believe how small they earn. hehe. P 300 ($ 6) per pitcher of the infamous island drink and you are soo on your way to your drunken stir! 1 pitcher is enough for the 2 of us (we were both girls anyways, hehe). :) They also offer hard drinks and beers though.

• Pros:shorter travel time compared to other quality beaches in luzon, is near to other islands, has a fabulous nightlife, fantastic underwater, good and reasonable shopping area and much affordable compared to other tourist destinations in the Philippines!
  • Cons:The water is very clear but the shore and sea bed is a bit stony so be a bit careful for sharp ones and the beach strip is relatively small compared to boracay.
  • In a nutshell:A quick fix for who one's golden beach itch! :)
  • Last visit to Puerto Galera: Mar 2000
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2006

• charmee's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 11:56 PM

Wow girl! Ur detailed info on PG helped me a lot. I am now confident in making the plan for our group outing. My only worry is finding an affordable accomodation with kitchen for 10 pax. A million thnx to u. Mwaah mwaah . . .

• shikokuzen's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Always enjoy pictures and tips about the Philippines....once lived in the Philippines and still have wonderful memories

travelpitstops Visits Here Frequently!

travelpitstops

“nowhere man, the world is at your command.”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Galera

Have you been to Puerto Galera?

Latest Activity in Puerto Galera