"puttapparthi" State of Andhra Pradesh by 6aruna
State of Andhra Pradesh Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 798 photos
Puttapparthi is an arid area in Ananthapoor district, Andhrapradesh, 156km from bangalore and about 472km from Hyderabad. strewn with rocks and rare rain people are mostly in to rearing sheep and farming.
This is where bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba resides and is a welcome destination for the spiritually inclined .
Sai baba is thought to be the reincarnation of shirdi sai baba who lived in Ahmed Nagar in Maharashtra from 1837 to 1918. The present Sai lives in puttapparthy and is believed to live till 96 years of age. He is now 84 years.
He has three abodes , Puttapparthy the main one in andhra Pradesh , Whitefield in bangalore- Karnataka and kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu.
The ashram in puttapparthy is called prasanthinilayam. This once sleepy dusty village has been changed to a bee hive of activity with people all over the world flocking here for spiritual guidance.
With his Afro hair style he looks and speaks differently from most spiritual gurus.
Saibaba teaches that there is GOD in everyone and it is everyones life mission to understand that.
Even though the rituals are based on Hindu tradition, Sai Baba encourages people to have faith in their own religion. A multi religious prayer is a must during bhajans. The emblem of the ashram consists of hindu, muslim, christian, parsi and budhist symbols.
Institutions run by Sathya Sai Baba gives prime importance to education , health, safe drinking water and employment. There are numerous non profit making institutions run by the ashram.
- Pros:peaceful, spiritually uplifting
- Cons:nothing there for people who enjoy a fast life
- In a nutshell:stay for atleast a week to get the ambience
andhra pradesh is known for the variety of vegetables , flowers and fruits grown here. You can get tropical fruits at... more travel advice
I had to sit in front of the temple for an hour waiting for my sister. A vantage point to watch people. I also saw a few... more travel advice
- excellent veg food
- See All they don't like giving the change
- See All vinayaka chathurthi festival
- in the ashram forget about night life
6aruna's Related Pages
State of Andhra Pradesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andhra Pardesh"
- "ANDHRA PRADESH"
- "andhra pradesh"
- "Rishi Valley, Chittoor Dist."
- "PUTTAPARTHY- home of BHAGAWAN SHRI SATHYA SAI BABA"
- "Horselly Hills- Andhara OOty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Hotels in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Transportation in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Nightlife in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Restaurants in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Shopping in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Andhra Pradesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Andhra Pradesh
- 31 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to State of Andhra Pradesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Andhra Pradesh
Photos in State of Andhra PradeshSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 24 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hsinchu Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vellore Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyderabad Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pushkar Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hualian Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue