"alleppey" Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha by 6aruna
Alappuzha Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 304 photos
Alleppey is 156 km from trivandrum.Once a thriving business center for trading with other countries through sea route now it has become a sleepy town where tourists land for a backwater cruise.
Alleppey is criss crossed with canals connecting sea and the lake. There are numerous islands were people live. Some times one small green patch surrounded by water is occupied by a single family with cows , and a small vegetable garden. some larger ones may even have a school and some temples and churches. Just like we have roads in front of the house they have canals in the backyard. They have to get everything for their daily livelihood including water from the town, hence a hand rowed small boat is a mode of transport for everyone. Even children are adept at rowing. All activity, cleaning, washing clothes, bathing,rearing ducks, everything is done in the canal. . Come monsoon life becomes miserable with flooding and water born epidemics.
back water cruises take you through their backyards and give you a glimpse of their lifestyle
alleppey is also famous for the boat races which take place during onam. Community sponsored boats are entered in to the races and are vigorously contested .
kuttanadu area is also known as the rice bowl of kerala. Harvesting time is an exciting period to visit alleppey.
why do i love alleppey?
this is unlike any other place i have lived . People who's lives depend solely on waterways and who are enterprising and most of all survivors.
- Pros:it is all about water
- Cons:again all about water
most of the small habitats are connected by waterways .The Government boats are the ones which people rely on.Nowadays... more travel advice
6aruna's Related Pages
Alappuzha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Venice of the east -Alappuzha or Alleppey....."
- "Alappuzha - Alleppey"
- "Of backwaters"
- "A great place"
- "Alappuzha / Alleppey"
- "Venice of the east"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alappuzha
- Hotels in Alappuzha
- Transportation in Alappuzha
- Restaurants in Alappuzha
- Warnings and Dangers in Alappuzha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alappuzha
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Alappuzha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alappuzha
Photos in AlappuzhaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hsinchu Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vellore Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyderabad Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pushkar Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Kerala Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos