Kanchipuram Things to Do Tips by 6aruna Top 5 Page for this destination
Kanchipuram Things to Do: 20 reviews and 21 photos
there are numerous shops which sell silksarees on either side of the lane to the temple .These are hand woven and made from mulberry silk worms. kancheepuram is also famous for hand woven cotton sarees.The owners belong to weavers co-operative society.once you go to the interior you can buy from weavers direct.
most of the designs are from the temple carvings
The cost range from RS 500 to 20,000
girl with pooja offerings
within walking distance from the kancheepuram temple is the kamakshi temple dedicated to parvathy.This is smaller in comparison but equally elaborate and has a gold covered dome.
kancheepuram siva temple is one of the five famous abodes of siva . Here sivalinga is worshipped in the form of sand. Legend has it that parvathy worshiped the sand linga here under a very old mango tree.
The outer wall is interrupted by gopurams which looks similar but differs architecturally according to the era in which it was constructed. Inside this wall is the thousand pillar gopuram.
The door to the inner sanctum opens in the morning closes by mid morning and then again opens only at 3.30pm. here you can see the pond and a waiting area with carved pillars.The innermost sanctum opens only at 4pm in the evening .it is an archaeological delight with numerous small temples and hall ways with pillars. The place where the idol is kept is out of bounds for non hindus
Directions: near the busstand.
6aruna's Related Pages
Kanchipuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kanchipuram-Temple&Silk city :)"
- "Sacred City"
- "land of a thousand temples"
- "Nagareshu Kanchi -- Kanchi -- the Temple town"
- "Kanchipuram Photos 1"
- "Kanchipuram - temple town & silk Sarees"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanchipuram
- Transportation in Kanchipuram
- Restaurants in Kanchipuram
- Shopping in Kanchipuram
- See All...
Explore the World
- Moon Valley Hotels
- Lago Superiore Hotels
- Azincourt Hotels
- Soacha Hotels
- Mountain Home
Badges & Stats in Kanchipuram
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kanchipuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanchipuram
Photos in KanchipuramSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 18 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hsinchu Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vellore Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pushkar Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hyderabad Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jaipur Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues