"Madurai" Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai by 6aruna
Madurai Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 319 photos
Madurai is called the Athens of the east. So you can imagine the temples and ruins you expect.Madurai was founded during the Sangam period (BC) when Tamil literature flourished. Nowadays it is mainly the meenakshi temple.
This is one of the largest temples in India. Carved out of stone during the time of Kulasekhara Pandyan and later modified by naykars. There is a whopping 33 million sculptures in the temple. Over the centuries the stone carvings has acquired a metallic sheen .
Legend has it that Kannagi burned Madurai for the ill treatment meted out to her husband ( Chilappathikaram.)
- Pros:architectural wonder
- Cons:pity that non hindus are not allowed in the sanctum sanctorum
There is another underground stone building with many pillars which look like a temple .This is where you can see people... more travel advice
Inside the temple there are rows and rows of stores selling bangles statues and other curios.The number of shops have... more travel advice
Written Sep 28, 2009
madurai meenakshi temple
Written Oct 9, 2009
On the way to Madurai
6aruna's Related Pages
Madurai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madurai the temple city"
- "City of Meenakshi"
- "Madurai - The City of Temples"
- "Madurai and the Sri Meenakshi Sundareshvara Temple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madurai
- Hotels in Madurai
- Transportation in Madurai
- Nightlife in Madurai
- Restaurants in Madurai
- Shopping in Madurai
- Warnings and Dangers in Madurai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madurai
- 7 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Madurai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madurai
Photos in MaduraiSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hsinchu Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vellore Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyderabad Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pushkar Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Kerala Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos