"pushkar" Pushkar by 6aruna
Pushkar Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 842 photos
Pushkar is a small area sorrounding a lake and walled in by mountains.It gets it's name from the lotus flower.Lord Brahma killed a demon vajranabha with a lotus flower the petals of which fell at three places in pushkar where lakes were formed .This lake is sorrounded by temples more than 500 and small palaces. Brahma performed sacrificial bath in this lake during full moon in the month of karthika oct- nov. This week is celebrated by hindus who flock here for a holy dip in the lake.
This is also a social ocassion when a cattle and accessories fair is conducted.You can buy camels ( rs 20,000) horses, goats.You can get anything which a camel owner needs .Then the usual fair regulars like bangles shoes,household utensils, clothes .Festival time is the time for buying blankets. The government has added a camel race ,horse race and some street circus.
Fairs are always a means for earning money in this water starved area. people sell anything .I saw snake charmers, musicians, artisans cobblers,people selling small tools for cleaning ear, barbers, carpenters, potters .It is rural India
what i found interesting was the enormity of the fair. An estimated 2 lakhs camels were on display and more than 50 % changed hands. Camel is a multipurpose utility animal in the desert. Transportation,food, hide for shoes, bags and sheltor,manure what not.
The horses cows sheep etc were in minimal numbers in comparison.
another thing which interested me was the villagers efficiency in recycling anything and everything. For a fair of this magnitude the garbage was pretty minimal and the winding alleys were clean.
I have included a picture of camel dung being dried . This is subsequently used as manure. For a novice it looks like some tuber.
- Pros:once in a life time experience
- Cons:getting commercialised
The cheapest and one of the most enjoyable mode of transport would be a bus ride from the govt bus stand Ajmer to... more travel advice
6aruna's Related Pages
Pushkar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pushkar Holy Lake"
- "Pushkar - A pond created by a flower"
- "Holy Pushkar...."
- "Pushkar king of kings"
- "Pushkar - a holy Hindu pilgrimage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pushkar
- Hotels in Pushkar
- Transportation in Pushkar
- Nightlife in Pushkar
- Restaurants in Pushkar
- Shopping in Pushkar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pushkar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pushkar
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Pushkar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pushkar
Photos in PushkarSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 24 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hsinchu Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vellore Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyderabad Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pushkar Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hualian Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue