"land of spears" Vellore by 6aruna
Vellore Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 31 photos
vellore means land of spears is in the northern part of tamil nadu.
It has a rich heritage of dravidian culture. Ruled successively by the Pallavas,the cholas, the nayaks, the marathas, the nawabs of arcot, the sultans of bijapur and later the english. Each one of them have left their mark .This is evident in the different style of the temple gopurams, the church the mosques and the heritage buildings inside..
Vellore has been put in the freedom struggle map by the Sepoy mutiny(1806) and now recently in the health tourism map by CMC.
christian medical college was set up as a single bed hospital by Dr.Ida Scudder a missionary .The hospital is now a major teaching and referral hospital in South India.
places of interest nearby are thiruvannamalai the holy hills where ramanamaharshi meditated (3hrs by bus) and kanchipuram (2hrs)
i found an interesting quote about vellore
" vellore is a place with
a fort with out a king
a temple with out a diety
a river with out water
hills with out trees
women with out beauty "
except for the quote about women everything else is true .The temple diety was hidden by vijayanagar kings so successfully during the invasions that it is yet to be found. The river palar is always dry but the moat around the fort and the temple tank is never dry!! all the nearby hills are rocky absolutely bare and the heat radiating from it makes vellore one of the hottest in Tamil nadu .
- Pros:underestimated archaelogically interesting area.
- Cons:dusty,dry unbearably hot during summers it will try your nerves. expect reasonable climate during months of december january and february
this temple is 30mts away from vellore centre. a very old 11th century subramonya temple atop a hill has been renovated... more travel advice
right across the ASI museum is the government of TN museum.entry fee is nominal. from the outside it does not look as if... more travel advice
6aruna's Related Pages
Vellore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "land of spears"
- "Yelagiri tirupattur"
- "Vellore - Tamil Nadu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vellore
- Hotels in Vellore
- Transportation in Vellore
- Restaurants in Vellore
- Warnings and Dangers in Vellore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vellore
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Vellore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vellore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hsinchu Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanniyakumari Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vellore Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hyderabad Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pushkar Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- State of Kerala Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos