"Fort Macon State Park, Atlantic Beach, NC" Fort Macon State Park by MaryWarshaw
Fort Macon State Park Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
Fort Macon, named for state senator Nathaniel Macon, was built to guard the deep-water port of Beaufort Inlet. Using brick made in the area, and masons from Beaufort and other parts of the country, the US Army Corps of Engineers took eight years to build it, from 1826 to 1834. During the Civil War it was used by Union troops as a coaling station for navy ships. After being used as a Federal prison from 1867-1876, it was garrisoned again in 1898 for the Spanish-American War. It was abandoned in 1903. In 1924 a Congressional Act enabled it to be sold to the state for $1.00. It was restored in 1934-1935, and opened in 1936 as North Carolina's first functioning state park. It was garrisoned for the last time during World War II.
This view, looking under one of the three fort stairways, shows one of the many vaulted rooms which surround the inner court. The windows, doors, and shutters of these Casemates have been duplicated exactly from copies of the fort's original plans.
This view of Ft. Macon is from the top of one of the three stairways which lead down to the inner court or Parade Ground. This ornate trim has been duplicated exactly from copies of the fort's original plans.
- Pros:It's authentic-with tour guides and a gift shop.
- Cons:Mosquitos can be pesty late in the day, so bring along the bug spray.
- In a nutshell:A must see-and its on the beach!
MaryWarshaw's Related Pages
Fort Macon State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Given to the State of NC for $1"
- "Fort Macon State Park, Atlantic Beach, NC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Macon State Park
- Shopping in Fort Macon State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Macon State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Macon State Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Fort Macon State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Macon State Park
Photos in Fort Macon State ParkSee All Photos (3)
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaufort Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Fort Macon State Park Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.