"Lago Enriquillo" Lago Enriquillo by ValbyDK
Lago Enriquillo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos
Lago Enriquillo is the largest lake of Hispaniola (42km long and 12km wide). It is a part of the Parque Nacional Isla Cabritos, situated south-west of the Dominican Republic – close to the Haitian Border.
The lake is located in an old marine strait - created around one million years ago – surrounded by the Neiba Mountains to the north and the Bahoruco Mountains to the south. Lago Enriquillo is a salt water lake and has a large and varied wildlife (crocodiles, flamingos, iguanas and more).
I visited Lago Enriquillo in November, 2004, when I was travelling from Barahona in the south to Manzanillo in the north. Barahona is located about 50km from Lago Enriquillo, and is a good place to stay overnight if you need a place to sleep in the area.
It is a nice and beautiful place with the mountains as background and the wildlife. We went on a boat tour on the lake with some locals, and came really close to the flamingos and crocodiles! (read my tip).
ValbyDK's Related Pages
Lago Enriquillo Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lago Enriquillo
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lago Enriquillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago Enriquillo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 102 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 22 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 72 photos
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puno Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos