"Barahona" Santa Cruz de Barahona by ValbyDK
Santa Cruz de Barahona Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 5 photos
Barahona is located in the south-western part of the Dominican Republic; about three hours drive from Santo Domingo. The City was founded in 1802 by French-Haitian General, Toussaint L'Overture, who believed the location was the perfect spot to build an alternate port to Santo Domingo's.
Barahona was once the informal capital of Dictator Trujillo's multimillion-dollar sugar industry, but after many sugar mills are closed, the City has had a hard time.
Barahona itself isn’t why people visit this area, but there are three very beautiful national parks nearby (Parque Nacional Isla Cabritos, Parque Nacional Bahoruco and Parque Nacional Jaragua). Barahona has a population of estimated 200000 today.
I have visited Barahona twice (in 2004 and 2006), and both times I used the city as a stop on my way to the national parks.
In total I have only spent three days in Barahona (one day in 2004 and two days in 2006) and have not seen that much of the city. However I have only positive things to say about Barahona; the locals are very friendly and helpful and the area around the Malecón is quite nice.
The south-western part of the Dominican Republic is not an area where you will meet many other tourists, and during my stays in Barahona I have seen less than a handful.
If you're looking for some real local flavour, try to speak with the fishermen in front of Guarocuya Hotel &... more travel advice
ValbyDK's Related Pages
Santa Cruz de Barahona Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Santa Cruz de Barahona
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Santa Cruz de Barahona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Cruz de Barahona
Photos in Santa Cruz de BarahonaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 102 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 22 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 72 photos
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puno Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos