"Santiago" Santiago de los Caballeros by ValbyDK
Santiago de los Caballeros Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 69 photos
Santiago de los Caballeros (or simply Santiago) was founded in 1495 during the first wave of European colonization of the New World. The original colony was in the city of Jacagua, but after an earthquake in 1506, it was moved to its present location.
Santiago was an important strategic city in the Dominican War of Independence in 1844, and has sometimes been the capital of the country. Today Santiago is the second largest city in the Dominican Republic with an approximate population in the range of 1000000 inhabitants.
Santiago is a major traffic point in the Dominican Republic, and therefore I have been to Santiago numerous times. When you are travelling from Santo Domingo (south) to the north-western part of the Dominican Republic you must pass through Santiago – and if you are travelling with bus - Santiago often means you also have to change to another bus.
I have stayed overnight in Santiago a couple of times, and find the City to have an OK night life, great shopping opportunities, several cultural activities… and of course the Aguilas…
In 2006, I watched my first baseball game ever: Águilas vs. Licey, and from that day I was sold. In Denmark I have watched the soccer derby in Copenhagen between Brøndby IF and FC Copenhagen many times, but the atmosphere in a Danish football stadium is nothing compared with the atmosphere in a Dominican baseball ground: Drums, singing, dancing, Brugal, cervezas, merengue…
In 2008 I saw Águilas vs. Licey twice, so I will now call myself a Danish ‘Aguilucho’… by the way, I have never seen Águilas loose a game…
Read more about Águilas Cibaeñas here: www.aguiluchos.com.
- In a nutshell:Nightlife, shopping and baseball...
Monument a los Héroes de la Restauración (Monument to the Restoration) is located on a hill in the middle of... more travel advice
ValbyDK's Related Pages
Santiago de los Caballeros Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SANTIAGO DE LOS 30 CABALLEROS"
- "Santiago de los Caballero, la Ciudad Corazon"
- "The Gentleman's City"
- "Santiago La Ciudad Corazón!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago de los Caballeros
- Hotels in Santiago de los Caballeros
- Nightlife in Santiago de los Caballeros
- Restaurants in Santiago de los Caballeros
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago de los Caballeros
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Santiago de los Caballeros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago de los Caballeros
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 22 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 72 photos
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puno Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos