"MANAUS, Mother of the gods…" Top 5 Page for this destination Manaus by ValbyDK
Manaus Travel Guide: 300 reviews and 843 photos
Manaus is the capital of Amazonas and situated on the Rio Negro, just 10 kilometres upstream from the point where Rio Negro meets the Solimoes and forms the Amazon River.
The city has grown from an old 17th-century Portuguese fortification to a city of around 1.7 million inhabitants.
The rubber boom in the middle of the 19th century gave Manaus a boost, it was an era of great luxury and some of the city’s most impressive buildings (for instance ‘Teatro Amazonas’ and ‘Mercado Municipal’) were built at that time.
With the end of the rubber boom, Manaus went into a very hard time, but a turning point was reached in 1967 when ‘the Manaus Free Zone’ was established.
Now, the city has become an important industrial centre for the manufacture of electrical and electronic goods – and Manaus is also an important centre for ecological tourism.
I spent 10 fantastic days in the Manaus area in November 2005, first 7 days in the jungle - living on a river boat – and later 3 days in Manaus itself (at Hotel Brasil). The jungle tour was the absolute highlight and you can read more about my journey on my travelogues (part 1-3).
- In a nutshell:Gateway to Amazonas...
When walking the streets of Manaus you’ll quite often meet a group of capoeira dancers, who are giving a performance.... more travel advice
I found Manaus OK to explore at daytime, but I didn’t like the city at night! I went out with my friends a couple of... more travel advice
ValbyDK's Related Pages
Manaus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worth the Trek."
- "The city I live"
- "MANAUS, Mother of the gods…"
- "The Great Mother"
- "What is happiness, my love…."
- "River City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manaus
- Hotels in Manaus
- Transportation in Manaus
- Nightlife in Manaus
- Restaurants in Manaus
- Shopping in Manaus
- Warnings and Dangers in Manaus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manaus
- 8 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Manaus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manaus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 105 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 22 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 72 photos
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puno Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos