"ULAANBAATAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar by ValbyDK
Ulaanbaatar Travel Guide: 293 reviews and 853 photos
I stayed 5 days in Ulaanbaatar, the capital city of Mongolia, in September 2006. I visited the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park about 80km from Ulaanbaatar and the landscape was absolutely stunning. There are also a few other national parks which are reachable on day trips from Ulaanbaatar – and a visit to one of the park is a must do in Ulaanbaatar (especially if you are not going to the Gobi desert).
The people were generally very friendly and sometimes we were approached on the street. Not in a pushy way and I got the impression that people just wanted to be friendly and helpful (and test their English skills). But read my warning tips because not all people were friendly…
I will not describe Ulaanbaatar as a pretty city. Parts of the city are run down and dirty, and traffic was terrible in the centre of Ulaanbaatar. However, still a great place and so different from many other cities I have visited. The city centre has a few interesting sights, for example the Gandantegchinlen Khiid Monastery, the Sükhbaatar Square, and the National Museum - but I was mostly impressed by the countryside and the friendly people.
As mentioned I stayed 5 days in Ulaanbaatar, but I think 3-4 days are enough to explore the city.
- Pros:Amazing countryside...
- Cons:Traffic, aggressive pickpockets...
The Terelj National Park has two famous rock formations named for the things they look like: The Turtle Rock (Melkhii... more travel advice
There are no public phone boxes in Ulaan Baatar. Instead, you see lots of people sitting in the street with cordless... more travel advice
ValbyDK's Related Pages
Ulaanbaatar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ulaanbaatar - UB"
- "Welcome to Ulaanbaatar"
- "Ulaanbaatar - The Red Hero City"
- "ULAAN BAATOR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ulaanbaatar
- Hotels in Ulaanbaatar
- Transportation in Ulaanbaatar
- Nightlife in Ulaanbaatar
- Restaurants in Ulaanbaatar
- Shopping in Ulaanbaatar
- Warnings and Dangers in Ulaanbaatar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ulaanbaatar
- 15 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ulaanbaatar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ulaanbaatar
Photos in UlaanbaatarSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 102 reviews, 311 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 22 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 72 photos
- Vienna Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Belgrade Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vientiane Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 17 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puno Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
- Phumi Siem Reab Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos