"ULAANBAATAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulaanbaatar by ValbyDK

Ulaanbaatar Travel Guide: 293 reviews and 853 photos

I stayed 5 days in Ulaanbaatar, the capital city of Mongolia, in September 2006. I visited the Gorkhi-Terelj National Park about 80km from Ulaanbaatar and the landscape was absolutely stunning. There are also a few other national parks which are reachable on day trips from Ulaanbaatar – and a visit to one of the park is a must do in Ulaanbaatar (especially if you are not going to the Gobi desert).

The people were generally very friendly and sometimes we were approached on the street. Not in a pushy way and I got the impression that people just wanted to be friendly and helpful (and test their English skills). But read my warning tips because not all people were friendly…

I will not describe Ulaanbaatar as a pretty city. Parts of the city are run down and dirty, and traffic was terrible in the centre of Ulaanbaatar. However, still a great place and so different from many other cities I have visited. The city centre has a few interesting sights, for example the Gandantegchinlen Khiid Monastery, the Sükhbaatar Square, and the National Museum - but I was mostly impressed by the countryside and the friendly people.

As mentioned I stayed 5 days in Ulaanbaatar, but I think 3-4 days are enough to explore the city.

• Pros:Amazing countryside...
  • Cons:Traffic, aggressive pickpockets...
  • Last visit to Ulaanbaatar: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2010

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Hello, Klaus! You've been in Ulaanbaatar! Good for you! Thanks for your page!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Sounds like an interesting to visit, quite different from the place I have visited so far. Those 'phone boxes' somehow remind me of the ones in Colombia (called 'minutos'), where people on the street offer phone calls from their mobiles.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM

This must have been an interesting holiday for you. I know very little about Mongolia, so thanks for the virtual tour, I have learnt something about the country through your writing.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Nice tips and photos. Looks like an interesting place to visit.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 4:40 AM

Cool page of Ulaanbaatar. Like the musuem tips and warning tips! Always impressed by the dinosaurus bones.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2008 at 3:22 AM

Hi there, thanx for your visit. You have been to many interesting places. This page is great and nice picture. Pierre

• LuisGuimaraes's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 5:45 AM

I somehow like this intro photo.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Great tips and photos! Your pics about Terelj bring back the memories of some great days in Mongolia 1991. Thank you!

• el_ruso's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 9:18 AM

You have traveled to some really exotic destinations! Great page on Ulaanbaator. Thanks for visiting my DR page.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 4:18 AM

Good pages! I hope to visit Mongolia some day, and I'm sure I'll head for the Gobi desert.

ValbyDK

“2013... Seville and Barcelona... Lisbon... Vilnius... Vienna... Budapest... Oslo... 2014... ?”

Badges & Stats in Ulaanbaatar

Have you been to Ulaanbaatar?

Latest Activity in Ulaanbaatar