"Death Valley California" Death Valley National Park by RAINBOWWINGS
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 951 reviews and 2,204 photos
Death Valley National Park, the most spectacular, hottest and lowest place on Earth! My mouth is still hanging open at the stunning scenery in this amazing place. Over 3 million acres of desert wilderness but teaming with wildlife this is a must to visit. Full of natural history with remains of the first settlers in this area dating back 10,000 years, who hunted big game, then the native indians who over 2,000 years ago lived by a 30ft deep lake, hunting smaller game and gathering seeds. Then in the mid 1800s the gold rush took place and as miners moved in they pushed the native indians out. They searched for gold ,silver and borax but by 1910 most of the mines had ceased to operate and only borax had been found.
As you drive thru the desert, a National Park, you´ll see lots of old, crumbled disused mines and wander how they ever managed to live, work AND survive in this extremely harsh environment. Only a handful of towns/villages remain, which most have been put back together again and use in tourism. The only way to see Death Valley is by car as public transport does not enter the Park, but you can do a coach tour from Las Vegas.
An oasis in the middle of Death Valley but also the hottest with summer temperatures reaching 134F, second highest temp recorded in the world with only the Sahara Desert beating it by 2 degrees in 1922. Normal summer temps stay around 120F, with the winter being mild and sunny with just an occasional storm. Furnace Creek is also the centre of Information for Death Valley and you can meet the rangers and see slides etc of the area.
- Pros:Amazing Scenery...a Different World!
- Cons:Soooooooo Hot in Summer
- In a nutshell:Dont mis it for anything!
When you´re in the middle of the desert, theres not a lot of choice for an active nightlife, other than stargazing, or... more travel advice
Like a mirage rising from the desert heat Scottys castle is the only mansion in Death Valley and well worth a visit. The... more travel advice
RAINBOWWINGS's Related Pages
Death Valley National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Death Valley National Park Page"
- "Death Valley"
- "Death Valley ? No, a valley of flowers !"
- "~ Blooming with life!~"
- "Into the Valley of Death..."
- "Death Valley - Land of Beauty and Contrasts"
- "Death Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Death Valley National Park
- Hotels in Death Valley National Park
- Transportation in Death Valley National Park
- Nightlife in Death Valley National Park
- Restaurants in Death Valley National Park
- Shopping in Death Valley National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Death Valley National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Death Valley National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Death Valley National Park
- updated a Death Valley National Park Travel Page "Death Valley California"
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: What show should I choose"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Like a Mirage"
- Wrote a Review Spoilt for choice! in Death Valley National Park Nightlife
- Commented on one of mht_in_la's Death Valley National Park travel pages
Photos in Death Valley National ParkSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 62 reviews, 120 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos
- Málaga Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Monument Valley State Park Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos