"Glen Canyon National Recreation Area" Top 5 Page for this destination Glen Canyon National Recreation Area by RAINBOWWINGS
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 146 photos
The second largest man-made lake in North America, Lake Powell was to be our destination for 2 days covering my 60th birthday.
What a fabulous part of the world and with over 1960 miles of shoreline there was certainly plenty to do and see, but not enough time to do it all!
Close to the Glen Canyon Dam is the buzzing marina of Waheap, with its lodges and camping grounds and for the more adventurous, huge house boats to hire and explore the 90 or so side canyons, some of which end up being only about 20ft across.
The only way to see these beautiful rock formations is by boat, so we took the 3 hour tour around the Dam and several canyons. I have never seen scenery like this with huge canyon walls rising high into the sky from the deep blue waters and the cruise boat a tiny speck bobbing below them. Weird formations played havok with our eyes making us see all sorts of forms in the walls. The Navajo Tapestry is a famous canyon wall where you can clearly see dolphins, eagles, faces etc all created by millions of years of wind and sand blasting the rock faces.
Most of these canyons are pertrified sand dunes from eons past and when winding thru the silent channels with just the sound of the waves you can almost feel the prehistoric presence of whatever walked the earth in those days gone by.
This amazing area has something to offer for everyone...young and old alike. From tranquil boat trips to mountain biking, to water sports of all types to lazily fishing off the shoreline.
The cold water of the Colorado river below the dam provides excellent conditions to fish trout, but dont be surprised to catch a catfish, or a striped bass along with 24 other species of fish.
This wonderful park also is the home to 64 species of mammal. 311 species of bird and an amazing 800 plants. Watch out for the 28 varieties of reptile!
Lake Powell has to be explored and the only way to do that is by boat. From Waheap Marina all types of boat can be hired... more travel advice
RAINBOWWINGS's Related Pages
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Recreation Goes for Miles"
- "A Time & Purpose for Everything: Glen Canyon"
- "Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell"
- "Glen Canyon National Recreation Area"
- "Lake Powell"
- "Lake Powell and Glen Canyon"
- "Lake Powell / Glen Canyon National Recreation Area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Hotels in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Restaurants in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Glen Canyon National Recreation Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 62 reviews, 120 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos
- Málaga Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Monument Valley State Park Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos