"Beautiful Bavaria" Munich by RAINBOWWINGS
Munich Travel Guide: 4,325 reviews and 10,037 photos
We arrived at Munich Airport in rush hour but that didnt deter us from finding the right subway to take us to the city centre and our hotel.
Dusk was starting to fall as we struggled with luggage and commuters to find a seat for the 45 minute journey. As it was almost dark we couldnt see much of the passing countryside but we knew we were in Bavaria and it was winter! Temperatures were low and snow had turned to ice at the side of the tracks.
On arriving at the Hauptbahnhaus it took us forever to find the exit needed to bring us up to street level and out hotel, but as we surfaced into the cold night air we were delighted to see our hotel just across the road!
Most of central Munich is pedestrianised which makes it all so easy for the tourist to get around, but even if you want to see further afield, the buses and trams are frequent and user friendly.
We had the best of both worlds. Our hotel was on a busy main street but with the train station opposite, and buses, taxis and trams right at our door we were bang in the middle of everything. The pedestrianised part of the city was a 10 minute walk so we had the chance of window shopping in the wonderful department stores...and spending a couple of hours or so in them...before we reached the public ice skating rink that marked the entrance to the pedestrian thoroughfare. Once there it was easy walking all the way past beautiful shops, restaurants, beer cellars, gluhwein stalls and the famous Christmas Market being the reason for our visit.
Brightly lit, colourful wooden cabins lined the walkways offering amazing glass baubles, wooden toys, sweet smelling oils and soaps, and tempting stomach fillers. Huge bratwurst, potato cakes, hamburgers etc. wafted on the air helping us forget the bitterly cold weather as we jostled with hundreds of like minded tourist all wanting to sample the German delights.
- Pros:Amazing city,food and beers
- Cons:Soooo cold in the winter
- In a nutshell:Old Memories with New Architecture
Not sure if this is open all year but during the winter its definitely full of all ages. This lovely Ice Rink is bang in... more travel advice
RAINBOWWINGS's Related Pages
Munich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
- "Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
- "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- "The Big Village"
- "Munich - my current hometown"
- "Munich and Surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munich
- Hotels in Munich
- Transportation in Munich
- Nightlife in Munich
- Restaurants in Munich
- Shopping in Munich
- Warnings and Dangers in Munich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munich
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Munich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munich
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 62 reviews, 120 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos
- Málaga Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 5 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Monument Valley State Park Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Seattle Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos