"Peaceful Island of Torcello" Torcello by Herkbert
Torcello Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 107 photos
Our island excursion ended on the quiet island of Torcello. The main attraction here is the church (Santa Maria Assunta) which is said to be one of the oldest in Venice.
It's hard to imagine, looking around at the rather desolate island, that 1,500 years ago this was the place to be in Venice. From the estimated 20,000 people who once called Torcello home, there are now less than 50 inhabitants.
As for the church, you take a pleasant 10 minute walk to get there and along the way there are a few things to see. For us, we came across the following fellow serenading people as they made their way along the canal.
- Pros:Peaceful and pleasant
- Cons:Not a whole lot to see
Walking around the grounds of Santa Maria Assunta, we came across what we referred to as the 'home for wayward statues'.... more travel advice
Herkbert's Related Pages
Torcello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torcello Trip"
- "Only 50 people"
- "Torcello -"
- "Torcello - A Breath of Fresh Air"
- "~Tranquil Torcello~"
- "Torcello from Burano waterfront"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torcello
- Hotels in Torcello
- Transportation in Torcello
- Restaurants in Torcello
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torcello
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Torcello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torcello
Photos in TorcelloSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 43 reviews, 117 photos
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 21 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buffalo Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 22 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 17 reviews, 58 photos
- Chicago Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos
- Beaune Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos
- Amboise Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos