"Welcome to my travel pages!" Herkbert's Profile

Staying on the move in 2014..

2014 is shaping up to be a better year then 2013 already. After 36 years, I will be retiring from my job. What better way to celebrate then to visit France once again. This time, we will be heading to the Southwest to explore the Dordogne, Correze and Lot departments. So looking forward to visiting the Pre-historic caves and Medieval Castles.

Later in the year we will be taking a road trip to Virginia, Washington DC and Gettysburg. Time to brush back up on my American history.

Can't wait to begin our travels this year as the next chapter in life begins.

Christmas dream come true....

I've wanted to visit Vienna at Christmastime since I was a young boy and finally my dream has come true. We spent the first half of December traveling through Austria from Innsbruck to Salzburg to Vienna. It couldn't have been a more perfect trip.

There was just enough snow and cold to remind us it was winter, but the warmth of the people we met made it feel like summer. With so much to see, do and experience we could have stayed for the whole month. I've added pages for Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Filzmoos and Hallstatt. Take a look if you have a moment.

Favorite Places we've visited:

We have visited some terrific places and have brought home pictures and memories that will last a lifetime. While each place is different, they all have a connection - they are places to discover new people, customs, architecture and tastes. Some of our favorites follow:

Paris - was our first trip to Europe and it was amazing. The city was breath-taking and every time we saw one of the famous landmarks we were as thrilled as a child on Christmas morning. The second and third times we went were just as exciting. It is a city that we will return to whenever we can.

Venice - was a city that I've always wanted to visit. It held a certain air of romance and beauty that could only be found while traversing its many canals and back streets. Well, it was better then I would have ever expected. I can say that I fell in love with Venice. We will return.

Tuscany - was a place that we had high expectations of before leaving and it surpassed those expectations easily. I felt so relaxed and comfortable there, almost like I had been there before.

Napa Valley, CA - is a place that we could easily call home. We love wine and Napa Valley is the total wine experience. Any time of the year that you visit there are plenty of things to see and do. friendly people, beautiful scenery and lots of delicious wine.

Austria - was a dream come true. I'm sure it is beautiful when the weather is nice, but we loved it in the winter. The snow, Christmas markets, and the wonderful Austrian people made it a place we will return to in the future.

Travel Wish List

There are so many places that we would like to visit, and hopefully we will have the chance as time goes by. Among the places that are high on our list are:

Belgium

City: Paris
Landmark: Eiffel Tower
Church: Duomo (Milan)
Restaurant: L'Ambroisie (Paris)
Art Museum: Uffizi Gallery (Florence)
Museum: British Museum (London)
Monument: Lincoln Memorial (Washington DC)
Hotel: Hotel Metropole (Bellagio)
Venue: Vienna State Opera House (Vienna)

Some of our favorite sights so far:

Eiffel Tower - Paris
Tower Bridge - London
Chateau Chenonceau from a hot air balloon - Loire Valley
Pont d' Gard - Provence, France

A little about me...

Born and raised near Buffalo, NY in the US just over 50 years ago. Didn't travel much when I was a kid, but always thought about going to some really "cool" places someday. Met my wife back when we were teenagers and have been together ever since. I believe that this is the happily ever after part of life that I read about back in the old days!

My wife and I have been lucky enough in our thirty plus years together to travel and enjoy many different places - sometimes on our own and sometimes with friends.. We've been to romantic cities, sandy beaches, casinos, vineyards, castles, museums and some great restaurants.

We enjoy sight-seeing, the theatre, good food and wine, and everything about traveling - except for maybe the cramped airline seats. Visiting a new place and mixing with the locals to really get to know the location has always been a favorite activity - whether we know the language or not - we do try.

Thanks again for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy my travel pages as much as I enjoyed building them ...

Our photos...

I love taking pictures, and half the fun of taking them is sharing them with others. I hope you enjoy my pictures and show others if you'd like. All I ask is that if you are going to use them or publish them to let me know. (that way I can brag to my other photo friends.)

I promise to do the same when looking at your pictures!

• Intro Updated Mar 23, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Herkbert's Profile Photo

Herkbert

“Dream it, Plan it, Do It!”

Real Name