"Dileas Gu Brath - Faithful Forever" Wilp by Sibbella
Wilp Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
When the 48th Highlanders of Canada had crossed the Ijssel River and gained their initial objectives on the Wilp-Deventer Road, Lieutenant Colonel MacKenzie, realizing that this was the turning point of the battle, went forward fearlessly in the face of heavy enemy fire to make a personal reconnaissance in preparation for the second phase of the attack. During a reconnaissance of the advance ground, a grenade from the German artillery killed the commander of the Highlanders. Lt. Col. MacKenzie was buried in the village of Wilp, where he would be joined during the next days by a total of 18 Highlanders. The regiment encountered heavy German resistance in the taking of Apeldoorn. After the capitulation the reception the 48th Highlanders received in The Hague was overwhelming.
After the war Lt.Col. MacKenzie and the other killed 48th Highlanders were reburied on the Canadian War Cemetery of Holten.
Until now every year on the Sunday nearest to April 12th a special ceremony is held to honour the brave soldiers of the 48th Highlanders of Canada.
Back in 1995 I remember preforming at this monument.
- Pros:Honouring a great Canadian
Sibbella's Related Pages
Wilp Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wilp
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Wilp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilp
Photos in WilpSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 36 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amersfoort Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Utrecht Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mississauga Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Ontario Intro, 2 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Apeldoorn Intro, 1 review, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues