"Avebury UNESCO World Heritage Site" Avebury by GandalfOnTour
Avebury Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 238 photos
We happened by chance upon Avebury and I was amazed to find such a vast Neolithic complex in such good condition. Avebury is the site of a very old and large Henge and a number of stone circles. The monuments date back as far as 3400 BC.... about 5000 years ago!!! This is somewhat older than the more famous Stonehenge.
The circumference of the large ditch is about 1.3km and in parts it was orginally 11m deep. The orginal design of the large outer circle contained 98 very large sarsen standing stones, unfortunately only 27 of these stones survive today, but they are most impressive,
What intially struck me was how peaceful and beautiful the avebury landscape is and I am not surpirsed that it was chosen as the location for this henge. Take time to walk around and soak up the magical atmosphere.
GandalfOnTour's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Photos in AveburySee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 10 reviews, 38 photos
- Richmond Intro, 8 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kawm ad Dahab Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Petra Intro, 12 reviews, 19 photos
- Bury Saint Edmunds Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Prague Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Punta Cana Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Baa Atholhu Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue